+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default How strict were you about visitors vaccinations for subsequent babies?

There's a thread at the moment about no vax / no visit. I don't want to derail it as everyone there seems to be first time Mum's and I'm interested in those with larger families.

When I had DD1 I was really particular about ensuring visitors had vaccines up to date. There had recently been an outbreak of WC and I was scared. It wasn't as well known then to get the vaccine as adults but it wasn't difficult to obtain.

DD2 I was a little more relaxed as DD1 was in childcare so spent a lot more time out of the house doing drop offs and pick ups.

DS was born when my eldest was at school. He would have been exposed to so much but I did the best I could by wearing him in a sling at all times we were around school.

Same for dd3 except I had 2 kids at school. I think by then I'd even forgot to ask relatives who had had the vaccine. I didn't have the luxury of staying home ever.

I'm interested whether others had to relax about this with subsequent kids or whether I'm just particularly slack?

Added to the mix is the WC vaccine is almost impossible to obtain here unless you are high risk so asking people to have it would have been impossible for many.

Thoughts?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default How strict were you about visitors vaccinations for subsequent babies?

Slack parent here.
    Dd1- I kept her away from work (nursing home) for the first 6 weeks. Avoided shopping centres etc if I could avoid it. Didn't ask anyone who visited though if they were up to date with vaccinations or had a whooping cough booster- DH hates needles so I knew he wasn't lol!

Dd2- life has to go on. Out at the shops by day 3. Week 2 we started our weekly visit to volunteer at the nursing home- she was passed around to everyone (I couldn't stop them she was snatched away as soon as we entered the doors).. Dd1 needed to get out and we needed to eat!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Honestly, it wasn't something I thought of with regard to visitors. I made sure that my vaccinations were up to date, but it didn't occur to me to ask my visitors. With my second, there really wouldn't have been much point. He went to school with me everyday as his sister was at school already, and he'd come along on playdates.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Super slack parent here. Have never made sure/asked visitors if vaccinations are up to date before they saw any of our babies. Dd1 we were out and about in shopping centres and restaurants etc from the day after we came home from hospital. Same with dd2. Dd3 we stayed home a couple of days and requested no visitors aside from my mum and grandad. But after that we had to do daycare pick up and groceries etc so life went on as normal. Same with dd4.

I didn't even know until recently that dh is anti-vax and as far as he is aware has never been vaccinated and that won't be changing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    I don't believe I have a right to make someone else have a vax especially if it goes against their beliefs. We are all vaxed and we talked about how it would be in bubs best interest if everyone was. That was it.
    My bubs are out and about from day 1. We don't hide bub. We just get on with our life's. Dd3 was at movie world at 3 days old.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm expecting my third soon and only reason I am more vigilante at the moment, is because whooping cough has been in the headlines since last year. Of course I want to protect my baby from kids who aren't vaccinated at all or people who are unwell in general. Everyone I know has their kids vaccinated, so I'm not too worried. I had the Whooping cough vax at 32 weeks and am pretty relaxed knowing that the bub is somewhat protected until her first vaccinations.

My other two children are 9 and 11, and I was probably not as aware, though I still didn't allow unwell friends and relos have a hold of them.

We will have DP's brother and his fam come and see us when the baby is about 3 weeks old but their kids have all been vaccinated. We will probably be taking the baby out to Australia zoo around that time too, so she will be exposed but I plan to have the pram covered somewhat and will just make sure there is no one breathing all over her lol.
    Last edited by Marchbundle; 17-02-2016 at 16:11.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I was way more full on 2nd time around. No vax no visit. It was the middle of winter, with a huge increase in WC in our area.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    I was way more full on 2nd time around. No vax no visit. It was the middle of winter, with a huge increase in WC in our area.
    I've never lived in an area affected by WC so can understand your vigilance.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

babyla  (17-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveLivesHere View Post
    I don't believe I have a right to make someone else have a vax especially if it goes against their beliefs. We are all vaxed and we talked about how it would be in bubs best interest if everyone was. That was it.
    My bubs are out and about from day 1. We don't hide bub. We just get on with our life's. Dd3 was at movie world at 3 days old.
    Yep same - I had 15 people in my hospital room playing pass the baby the day he was born - DH and I were up to date and that was the time they were giving grandparents free vaxs so both sets got it voluntarily

Thanks
    Reviews
    With my first I asked that grandparents and DH be vaccinated ajd I was vaccinated as soon as she came out, the vaccination during third tri wasnt recommended then.

I didnt ask people to be vaccinted with DS as the grandparents were with DD 3 years before.

I wasnt particularly strict and provided people were well they had a hold of the baby. We were out and about pretty early on, I cant stay home, i go mad