+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Why won't she sleep?!

Hey OP.

Assuming medical issues have been ruled out my guess is that bub is waking because of hunger. At 7.5 months I think it would be very difficult to sleep through if you weren't having a good amount of solids (to include plenty of protein and carbs). Until solid intake improves other attempts to help bub sleep *may* be futile. Of course I could be wrong however this is my best guess.If you think this could be a factor then I would look at moving at least some of the solid feeds before the milk feed. Or cut one of the afternoon feeds and replace it with a snack. It may take a few days before bub adjusts solid intake. Bub may be unlikely to increase solids while bub is still getting massive milk feeds through. Have you tried purΓ©es in addition to finger foods? One tip I found handy was for parents to watch their own facial expression. If mum has a concerned look (eg as the food is too hot) then bub may be turned off. Have a positive smile no matter what - even if you are feeding bub brussel sprouts
    Can you local MACH clinic help with strategies for increasing solids?

My second guess is that temp may be a factor. How do you know what the temp is through the night? Do you have a gro-egg? Thermostats with baby monitors are notoriously inaccurate. At 20 degrees I'm not sure bub would be warm enough in the current bedding. At 20 I would place my boys in a legless long sleeve onsie and a 2 tog sleeping bag. Some bubs need an additional blanket. If your room thermometer is
    Not accurate and the temp infact dips below 20 bub may likely be cold.

Third guess - habit. Bub may wake one night for a certain reason (teeth etc) and before you know it bub gets used to the extra attention and wakes from habit. My eldest did this with teething - woke 2 nights from genuine pain so I fed. Woke a third night from habit - I could tell he wasn't in pain- didn't feed. 4th night slept through. The longer a habit continues the harder it is to break. Be careful about holding off on night feeds though until bub is on solids.

Fourth guess - ditch the dummy and possibly the white noise. The dummy is especially notorious for impacting a bubs ability to self soothe/increase night wakings. Not always, but more often than not.

As mentioned previously I think solids is the key so would focus on that first.

Best of luck
    Last edited by VicPark; 17-02-2016 at 17:47.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (17-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yeah I also think try panadol again. With suppositories I had to use them quite a bit with DS. I think we end up being more stressed with it than them! Which in turn made DS more stressed.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Just touching on temp...I keep DS' room at 20-21 degrees and he sleeps in: a singlet, cotton pj bottoms and cotton long sleeve top with the duvet/winter merino wool sleeping bag. Keep in mind it's winter here but I use a heater with a thermostat in his room to keep it at a constant temp.

Eta: sorry just saw that she had a sheet and blanket on. I would probably dress a bit warmer and only use a sleeping bag, I find it much easier to figure what combo of clothes work for his sleeping bag and room temp than to use blankets.
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 17-02-2016 at 17:54.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (17-02-2016),VicPark  (17-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Just caught up. I agree on trying some pain relief, orange flavored dimedon (paracetomal) or orange flavored nuerofen. Panadol is disgusting and no way DS would take it! The other two are quite yummy. My DS would just wake from teething as well, rarely be distressed from it.

As far as solids, DS wouldn't even try them until 7 months and would not properly eat until 8-9 months. Before one solids are just for fun and milk is her most important source of nutrition. I found it really stressful trying to get him to eat more solids, even once he was established, hoping it would improve his sleep and it never did.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

babyla  (17-02-2016),binnielici  (17-02-2016),gingermillie  (17-02-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (17-02-2016),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (17-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post

As far as solids, DS wouldn't even try them until 7 months and would not properly eat until 8-9 months. Before one solids are just for fun and milk is her most important source of nutrition. I found it really stressful trying to get him to eat more solids, even once he was established, hoping it would improve his sleep and it never did.
    Very true miss Holly. Same here with both my girls. Their sleep went worse when we started solids. Bm/formula is more nutrient dense per ml/gm than solid food. All solids do if take up additional space and slow digestion.

That's why with dd3 I'm not going to even bother to start till 7-8mths. I point blank refuse to do purees and it's BLW all the way here.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

amiracle4me  (18-02-2016),gingermillie  (17-02-2016),HollyGolightly81  (17-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    Before one solids are just for fun and milk is her most important source of nutrition. .
    I don't agree with the saying before one solids are just for fun. I think it is fantastical to think an 8-9-10-11 month old bub doesn't physically need a good amount of solids or that there's not a solid link between lack of solids and an older bub not sleeping through (pun intended). The problem with delayed solid intake (or sticking to just BLW when bub isn't eating much) is that by the time bub does take a decent amount of solids measures have often been put in place that although necessary at the time are counter-productive in bub sleeping through in the long run. So even when bub eventually takes solids bub may not sleep though.

Not saying it's easy - it obviously isn't easy for all bubs - I wish support services were better in this regard. Of course you're allowed to disagree.
    Last edited by VicPark; 17-02-2016 at 18:10.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia&Hannah View Post
    Very true miss Holly. Same here with both my girls. Their sleep went worse when we started solids. Bm/formula is more nutrient dense per ml/gm than solid food. All solids do if take up additional space and slow digestion.

That's why with dd3 I'm not going to even bother to start till 7-8mths. I point blank refuse to do purees and it's BLW all the way here.
    I reckon hats what has been going on with DD. BLW for us too.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    @elijah's Mum

Can you link in that article about food for kids?

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (17-02-2016),gingermillie  (17-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    I reckon hats what has been going on with DD. BLW for us too.
    BLW has been so good for our family. My kids eat everything!!! Dd2 requested pak choy for lunch yesterday.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I don't agree with the saying before one solids are just for fun. I think it is fantastical to think an 8-9-10-11 month old bub doesn't physically need a good amount of solids or that there's not a solid link between lack of solids and an older bub not sleeping through (pun intended). The problem with delayed solid intake (or sticking to just BLW when bub isn't eating much) is that by the time bub does take a decent amount of solids measures have often been put in place that although necessary at the time are counter-productive in bub sleeping through in the long run. So even when bub eventually takes solids bub may not sleep though.

Not saying it's easy - it obviously isn't easy for all bubs - I wish support services were better in this regard. Of course you're allowed to disagree.
    I'm not telling her not to give her child solids or that nobody should until one. I actually believe introduction is important for some allergies.

But fairly certain it's a fact that most of a baby's nutritional needs should come from breast milk or formula before one and not solids.

Also, some kids just won't take them. I tried a mix of spoon and BLW every day from 5.5 months, he wasn't interested, not much to do about that, wasn't a lack of trying.

You're giving your opinion based on your experiences and I'm giving mine based on mine.

But milk being the main nutritional need of your baby is a fact.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (17-02-2016),gingermillie  (17-02-2016),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (17-02-2016),VicPark  (17-02-2016)