+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Why won't she sleep?!

Yes another gingermillie sleep thread.

I'm just after clues. We had sleep school last week which didn't help us. She of course chose to only wake 1-2 times a night last week 😁
    So last night she was up from 12-3am wanting to sing, shriek and play 😴
    The night before she had 4 wake ups.
    I'm getting only 3 hours max at a time. She's 7.5 months old (6.5 corrected). My back/pelvis are stuffed at the moment and I'm sure the lack of solid restorative sleep is impacting my recovery.
    This poor sleep has been going on now for 2 months. Sleep school solution was to feed 3-4 hourly overnight. Wtf. She's not hungry!! I tried to feed her at 2:30am today to get her back to sleep and she wasn't interested. She will usually feed around 6-7pm then she'll take another feed around 2-3am but today wanted to play.
    I don't think she's cold. Room was 20-21 last night and she was in a onesie with 1 tog sleeping bag plus a sheet and cotton flannelette blanket.
    She's not fed to sleep, held to sleep, rocked to sleep. Sometimes she'll have a dummy only for sleeping but I try to take it out before she falls asleep. She has a cloth comforter only for sleeping and she rubs it all over her face. Her room is dark and we use white noise. She self settles for most day naps and getting there for bedtime at night too. If she needs help we just rock the cot (on wheels) to calm her down. She has two 1.5-2hr naps during the day and I don't let her sleep past 4:30pm and she goes to bed 7:30-8pm pretty easily.
    What.Am.I.Missing here??! Why won't she stay asleep and why does she want to stay awake for 2-3 hours in the middle of the night?
    She's exclusively breastfed and we're having a hard time getting solids into her (refuses) but trying hard.
    Before this change happened 2 months ago she was sleeping 10-12 hours straight for a few weeks and before that from about 3-5 months old she was sleeping 6:30-1-2am feed and straight back to sleep til 7:30am (possible feed around 5am too). Now she wakes every 3-4 hours on a good night. I resettle by offering dummy, comforter, rocking cot. She's generally not crying but might grizzle or shout out or want to play. If she cries I pick her up/feed her. She does not like co-sleeping makes her even more unsettled so that's not a solution.
    Just wondering if there is anything I'm missing here I can't think of anything else I can do except resign myself to this exhaustion. This is her rough day (can vary by half hour):
    7am wake breastfeed
    8am breakfast offered
    9:30am nap 1.5 hours
    11:00 up from nap, breastfeed
    12pm lunch offered
    2-2:30 nap 1.5 hours
    4pm breastfeed
    5pm dinner offered, shower
    6:30pm breastfeed
    7-8pm book, bed

Thanks
    Reviews

Well at least the naps are sorted!

Have you tried panadol before bed? It'll rule out teething pain.

When she won't sleep in the middle of the night what are you doing with her?

I can't remember but I'm pretty sure you are opposed to controlled crying?

Just brainstorming here.
    I have no answers as you know lol
    Hugs gingermillie it's a shame sleep school didn't work out.

Hopefully somebody can give you answers- if only babies were that easy to figure out.

Ps your day routine looks great

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (17-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post
    Well at least the naps are sorted!

Have you tried panadol before bed? It'll rule out teething pain.

When she won't sleep in the middle of the night what are you doing with her?

I can't remember but I'm pretty sure you are opposed to controlled crying?

Just brainstorming here.
    I have no answers as you know lol
    Hugs gingermillie it's a shame sleep school didn't work out.

Hopefully somebody can give you answers- if only babies were that easy to figure out.

Ps your day routine looks great
    We have a very hard time getting medication into her as she spits it out, gags, chokes and vomits. We have to use Panadol suppositories which aren't pleasant 😔 if it was teething pain would she be distressed/crying? She has no teeth through or obvious action happening. I thought I could feel something sharp in her mouth today but she won't let me in there for a good look/feel.
    Last night I got up to her at 12:10am as she was grizzling louder and louder and I gave her the dummy and rocked the cot til she calmed down. 20 minutes later shouting again. Rocked cot again. A While later banging sides of the cot, squealing. Tried leaving lamp on so she could see me sleeping in the spare bed in her room. This went on til I got her up at 2:30 to feed her which she wasn't interested in. More squealing, playing. I then tried to put her in bed with me. Nope kicking me, rolling around squealing. So I put her back in her cot at 3 told her to go to sleep and eventually she dropped off.
    I'm not into controlled crying. I think she's so willful she would just go on and on anyway and neither of us could handle that. Because she was squealing and shrieking at the top of her lungs DH was kept awake too and he had a 4hr drive in the country for work today which is not very safe.
    Days have clicked into place reasonably well which is a relief!!

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I wonder if you could ignore the disturbance through the night, unless it was a full on wake up. you said you will pick her up if she cries, that is fine, but could you ignore the general fussy noises, or the 'wanting to play" sort of noises. also, if you do go in to check her, can you keep the lights off, the sounds low, or no speaking, just quietly resettle, and then leave. I guess you might have already tried these things. marie.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SuperGranny For This Useful Post:

Cicho  (17-02-2016),gingermillie  (17-02-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (17-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Definitely consider teething. My dd wakes a lot when teething and doesn't necessarily cry she just can't resettle. Re medication have you tried neurofen? Some children prefer the taste and therefore it's easier to get into him.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BettyV For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (17-02-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (17-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS went through a stage when he would wake up wanting to play. I sat on the floor next to his bed in the dark and refused to talk or make much eye contact, other to say occasionally "it's time to sleep". It took awhile - on those really long nights I would very slowly move myself away from his bed towards the door (about 10 cm every 10 minutes!).

He eventually got the idea that nights were a time to sleep, not play. It took probably a week of doing this consistently though.

Good luck.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gizmo For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (17-02-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (17-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

There are teething tablets which I found helped with settling dd1 too, you just pop them on their tongue and they are gone. Second nurofen or trying dymadon (it's thicker and has a nicer taste).

I completely understand you not wanting to do cc. I was the same, but around the 7 month mark dd1 had broke me. She was so strong willed that it was actually the only thing that worked, as opposed to gentle techniques. I followed the sleepeasy solution and it changed our lives. Now I can't speak highly enough of cc abd the book and will not hesitate to do it again (dd2 is too young right now). It was hard hearing her cry, but she was in a supported loving environment and to be honest it was better to have few days of crying as opposed to waking up every night crying for months on end. But if you aren't 100% committed to sticking it out it won't work. Just something to think about.

And I hear once babies start crawling they tire themselves out and they can magically start sleeping through.....

And yes, don't indulge the night time parties! They will knock it off after a few days if you keep it boring and not interact (dd1 tried this every now and again)
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 17-02-2016 at 15:50.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

bezzy  (17-02-2016),gingermillie  (17-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post

And I hear once babies start crawling they tire themselves out and they can magically start sleeping through.....
    Nope!!! My super active crawling almost walking 7 month old who eats lots of solids wakes 4 times a night... She doesn't normally have midnight parties but had a 2 hr one last night.

I've given up trying to work out this whole sleep thing and have endless sympathy for anyone going through this.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (17-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Are you giving panadol? Everyone I know has trouble getting their little one to take panadol. Try dymadon if you want to give paracetamol but tbh I swear by nurofen for teeth pain. Give it about 15min before bed.

Firstly, you aren't doing anything wrong. You are doing great. Little people are just complex creatures. From what you have written 2 things spring to mind.
    1-Solids.... (I know you are trying and I know lots of people disagree) but in your situation I think when you find a way to get a little more high protein/high fat solids into her you will see improvements in sleep. When my babies have been going through very independent stages at meal times I give them purée in a squeezy pouch. That way they can hold it themself and suck the purée out. They are 'feeding themself' but they are still getting a good amount of food in their belly. I find feeding them self finger food is not enough. In terms of purée meals I make up 1/3 meat to 2/3 veg and cook well. Add a little coconut cream for extra calories and then purée up. Lamb, roast pumpkin and coconut cream is a big favorite here.

2- I wonder if she is getting too much day sleep. What she is getting sounds pretty normal but some babies just need a little less. My kids have been pretty good sleepers from a young age and I have found that they need less day sleep then their peers. I am a firm believer in shuffling the day sleep to ensure good night sleep (not the other way around). So if I was in your situation I might try putting her down for her morning sleep about 30min later. Still letting her have 1.5-2hrs. And then giving her only an hour afternoon sleep.

Good luck. Xxx

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RedCreamingSoda For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (17-02-2016),gingermillie  (17-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My kids play silly (awake for no bloody good reason) when they are teething. My kid 4mths old DID THE exact same thing but she is the exact opp as in fed to sleep, dummy used, no white noise and does not self settle. So I just sat up with her last night and cuddled her whilst I watched season 2 of big bang theory.

This may sound hard and not what you want to hear- but sometimes nothing works and that is just the child and their personality. It is actually easier to accept this than stress and constantly fight it.

I'm in the boat where I just go with the flow and just enjoy my babies vs trying to tweak them and spend months stressing out. Yes I'm tired. Yes sometimes I'm so over it. But I look at my three gorgeous perfect children and thank God everyday for them. Even when they wake 65000 times a night. This is who they are and I will take the bad with the good.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

BettyV  (17-02-2016),gingermillie  (17-02-2016),SuperGranny  (19-02-2016)