+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashfirst View Post
    We actually have to sign a form each night say we have done the homework and read an additional book. So I don't think I can skip it.
    Generally it's okay to Just write no homework done today. We needed a family day or we were to busy etc..

There will be times when it just not possible to get done.

Set a timer for 15 or 20 mins and do what he can in that time space. Leave the rest. Tell the teacher that he did his 15 mins or 20 mins and was unable to finish.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I've got one in kindergarten/prep this year. Our routine is home by 3.15pm. Then arvo tea and chill out time. Homework (readers and sight words) 4-4.30pm. 3yo does her homework of drawing me a picture. Dd1 likes to draw so that becomes her chill out activity.

Dinner 5pm then bath 6pm.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default After school routine

Our home readers and sight words start next week but we do not have specific time frames to finish them, our teacher recommends home readers at bedtime and sight words whenever you get a chance and once they finish one set you get the next ones, we have a 25 minute car ride to school and a few people have said that's the best time to do sight words on the way to school in the morning so I'll try that!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

PomPoms  (17-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Sounds a lot for prep.

I would write a note to the teacher and say your child is struggling with the homework and can he just do sight words or a book and alternate each night (or whatever you think would work best for him).

Homework is a pain the entire way through school. I have a DD in year 6 and a DD in year 4 and there are some nights that it is just too much for them and they just cry. I write a note to the teacher saying sorry no homework was done last night. They always read a book for 15-30min before bed no matter what, that is just our routine. So even if they haven't done the boring school readers they have read.

Our general routine is come home, have afternoon tea, free time (swim) until 5pm then homework. This changes with various after school activities or appointments.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    Our home readers and sight words start next week but we do not have specific time frames to finish them, our teacher recommends home readers at bedtime and sight words whenever you get a chance and once they finish one set you get the next ones, we have a 25 minute car ride to school and a few people have said that's the best time to do sight words on the way to school in the morning so I'll try that!
    I did sight words in the car and also times tables.

Now that both are independent readers they will do their school readers in the car if we are stuck in traffic.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to PomPoms For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum  (17-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing for ideas. Having a hard time getting everything done here too.

So far our routine is pick up kids after work at 5 pm (they go to oosh), home by 5.30.
    They get to play/watch tv/ipad while I get dinner ready, usually by 6.
    After dinner it's bath time and tidy up kitchen.
    From 6.30 we start doing homework. Ds is in kindy so only has one reader and sight words so can be done in 10min.
    Dd is in year 1, she gets maths, spelling words, 2 readers which need to be done during the week . Depending on how difficult it is her homework can take up to half and hour.
    Kids then usually get free time until around 8 pm then I read them stories for about half and hour so it's lights out by 8.30pm. I am finding they are quite tired in the morning (up at 6am) so I am going to gradually move bedtime earlier to around 8 pm.
    Last edited by Jontu; 17-02-2016 at 15:43.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    At the moment our routine is:
    - get home about 4pm
    - play in the backyard for 1 hour
    - come inside at 5pm
    - DSS(11 and in year 7) does the dishes
    - DD (4.5 and in prep) sits at kitchen table with me. She has three homework sheets where she traces the alphabet (capitals and small) and 0-9. Then we do her 12 sight words. Then we read her story of the the week and if there's time, we do one activity.
    - 5.30pm DD goes and plays with toys/ does colouring in or plays educational games on the iPad.
    - 5.30pm DSS comes to the kitchen table and we do his homework
    - 6.30pm the kids bath while I make dinner.
    -7pm dinner and DP comes home
    -7.30pm bedtime story and bed.

This will all change next week as we are moving closer to DPs work and I'll have him home every afternoon from 5.30 to help. So excited!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm also trying to find a good routine for evenings. DD has been very tired after school. We get home from school at about 4.30pm. We've been doing 'play time' until dinner at 5.15ish, then bath & then TV while I clean up. Then I've been doing homework with DD1 at about 6.30 while DD2 & 3 whinge or are entertained by DH. Homework is meant to take 5 mins, it takes more like 10 which I am ok with, but no more. I actually really enjoy the 1:1 time doing homework with DD, but wouldnt be happy with her having too much - she's just too tired & our evenings are so rushed as it is. Then stories & bed usually by 7 if I can - but lately its been more like 7.30. Would love to ******line the evenings a bit better.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Young kids shouldn't get homework.
    When can they play after being in school for 6 hours?!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Homeschooling4 For This Useful Post:

Freyamum  (18-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    This thread is terrifying, my daughter isn't at school until 2018 but I am already wondering when homework will get done! I work full time and don't have plans to reduce my work hours so I'll be dropping her at before school care at 7:30pm and hubby or I picking her up from after school care at 6pm. So we need to fit in dinner, homework, bath, reading and bed. Poor thing isn't going to get any time to just chill out at home!