+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default After school routine

I am struggling a bit with the whole
    after school/homework thing. I finish work, pick up ds1 from school then
    pick up ds2 and come home (drive home takes about 20 min). Once we get home and have something to eat we start homework.
    DS1 has just started prep and we have a reader, homework sheet, another book to read plus we need to learn the sight words. I am finding DS starts strong but gets sick of it before we start the sight words.
    What is your after school routine, who do you motivate your kids to do homework? How do you fit in homework, play, making dinner etc?

hakuna matata is offline The artist formerly know as babyhopeful
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It really depends on the night, but basic gist is when we get home he takes his lunch box out of his bag and gets changed, does his reader, eats anything left in his lunch box or if all eaten he gets a small snack. He does this at the bench and I can start dinner ect. When these jobs are done he has a play until dinner

3. The Following User Says Thank You to hakuna matata For This Useful Post:

Ashfirst  (17-02-2016)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default After school routine

Quite honestly if your son has just started prep I wouldn't even worry about any homework at all- not even readers unless he feels like it. I would do the sight words and that's it. And add the reader in maybe a couple of times on the weekend and maybe once or twice in the evenings if you get the time. Then build up to every night as he settles in to school a bit more. All that homework in the first few weeks! That's crazy- the poor kids would be exhausted. Through prep we just had sight words and a reader the whole year.

ETA my kids get read 3 books every night, as long as you're reading to/with him I think there's no reason to worry about copious amounts of homework. We still don't do readers every night, but we always read and IMO that's the important part.
    Last edited by FearlessLeader; 17-02-2016 at 12:25.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

Ashfirst  (17-02-2016),HollyGolightly81  (17-02-2016),Nemmi1987  (17-02-2016),PomPoms  (17-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    In kindy we just did home readers most nights but was usually bedtime just before we read their story. Try not to stress about fitting in all that homework. Even in year 4 homework is only done once or twice a week in our house. Except readers we aim for 5 nights a week. Luckily they are short at that stage just a few pages 😀 I hate homework pressure I think it puts kids off school

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Freyamum For This Useful Post:

Ashfirst  (17-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Wow. Sight words in term 1. Poor kids.

I would do the readers a few times a week, as needed.

The sight words, try playing bingo or snap with them. They're still so young and the first few weeks of school tires them out so much!

Good luck, my Ds is struggling with the year 1 workload ATM so I know how you feel

9. The Following User Says Thank You to misho For This Useful Post:

Ashfirst  (17-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We actually have to sign a form each night say we have done the homework and read an additional book. So I don't think I can skip it.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Ashfirst For This Useful Post:

misho  (17-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashfirst View Post
    We actually have to sign a form each night say we have done the homework and read an additional book. So I don't think I can skip it.
    Can he have some down time to play before he starts homework? Or can u do the sight works after food and then the readers an hour b4 bed??

I know a few parents who did homework at 6am in prep last year because the kids were much more attentive to it in the morning..

Just a suggestion.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to misho For This Useful Post:

Ashfirst  (17-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    As a prep teacher (before being a SAHM) I would suggest speaking to the teacher. What you are describing sounds like way too much. In my classroom all the children had sight words but they didn't have to do them every night. They kept hold of them for as long as they wanted and then when they felt ready to show me they brought them in. It is pretty important to do some reading but not necessarily from the specific reader. Either do it before a bedtime story or just leave it until you have more time. The most important thing is to talk to them about their reader when you do have the time. Comprehension is often way behind reading ability. But do allow just reading for enjoyment when you are reading to them. I'm not sure what homework they are being given at this stage in prep but again if you don't have the time then speak to the teacher. There is probably a really simple solution :-) above all, make sure your little one gets some play and down time after school. It is so tiring for them and you don't want him to lose interest so early on! You know your child best, don't make him do more than he wants to do :-).

15. The Following User Says Thank You to LaDiDah For This Useful Post:

Nemmi1987  (17-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The kids are going to get tested on their sight words every week. DS is really competitive and I worry that he will struggle if he isn't getting them right-we have already had tears because he couldn't write the letter u neat enough (his words not mine). He is a perfectionist like my husband!
    My sister is also a prep teacher (different school) and she was surprised that ds doesn't have math homework already...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by misho View Post
    Can he have some down time to play before he starts homework? Or can u do the sight works after food and then the readers an hour b4 bed??

I know a few parents who did homework at 6am in prep last year because the kids were much more attentive to it in the morning..

Just a suggestion.
    I might try this.....less chance he will get bored and frustrated.