+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by A&S View Post
    Fair enough. I think we need to do everything we can to keep our babies protected. Just a shame nobody else seems to care as much.
    I don't realistically expect anyone to care about my baby as much as I would. I think that's fair and reasonable.

what I feel is not reasonable is people getting shirty or making out like you're being over the top when you insist on certain things.

it's my kid, nobody will love it as much as me, I get that. but if I'm doing my best to protect my kid, don't look down your nose and grumble. we're only doing what any normal, reasonable, loving parent would do!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

kezty  (17-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's exactly my point but somehow no I am unreasonable...!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by KittyDeFleur View Post
    That's exactly my point but somehow no I am unreasonable...!
    well then f.ck them. you can only appease people to a certain point without compromising yourself. ok not in the business of compromising my health and wellbeing and that of my family for the sake of maintaining the peace with someone else.

if it's that hard for them to get that, I'm satisfied that I'm better off without them around.

it's actually that simple.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    I don't realistically expect anyone to care about my baby as much as I would. I think that's fair and reasonable.

what I feel is not reasonable is people getting shirty or making out like you're being over the top when you insist on certain things.

it's my kid, nobody will love it as much as me, I get that. but if I'm doing my best to protect my kid, don't look down your nose and grumble. we're only doing what any normal, reasonable, loving parent would do!
    Yes agree 100%! That's what I meant to say I just didn't word it quite right.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to A&S For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast  (17-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've just had my shot at 29 weeks. I got scripts for DH and my 2 older children, but when talking to the nurse, was told if they had their last booster in the last 10 years, they don't need another. Both had it about 7 years ago, so I'm happy with that. Both sets of our parents have had it. We all had the boostrix ipv, which does WC, diphtheria, tetanus & polio. It's what the Drs have on hand in Qld atm as normal boostrix has been short from the supplier for months. I work in pharmacy & was able to track down stock for family. It is turning up at pharmacies in small amounts if they have it on back order, but probably a fair amount of phoning around will be required. We've been told at work that it won't be back until probably November.
    We've gone through 2 years of ivf to get pregnant, so will be taking all precautions. Am booked for a c-section due to high risk, so am going to use that as an excuse for no visitors in hospital (except family who I know are vaccinated), and hopefully once I'm home, we can keep to ourselves until bubs first lot of immunisations.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I couldn't have the third trimester booster due to a previous reaction to this vaccine in 2012 (I believe it gives about 80-90% protection to bub in the first few weeks of life). My DH had his booster in 2012 and we asked my parents and brother to get it before bub was due last year and they did. Or they wouldn't have seen her. The only other person I asked was my best friend (well was my best friend we've recently had a falling out, not vax related lol). She refused as she's scared of needles. Fair enough but I said she couldn't meet DD til 8 weeks old. We didn't ask anyone else we just decided we wouldn't be having visitors at all those first two months.
    We were very careful with her she was born premature, small and spent 2 weeks in hospital when she was born. We requested no hospital visits well before she was born anyway we are very private people and first time parents. When we had to take her out we kept her in the Pram, hood down and didn't let anyone near her.
    We just explained to people that asked to visit that we were keeping her under wraps for a while as she was vulnerable and that once she'd had her first vaccinations we would welcome visits. Those first weeks went so fast anyway.
    I think you're well within your rights to ask them to be vaccinated and if they choose not to/mother stops it then think carefully about whether you want them around. There's quite a bit of whooping cough around again at the moment.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am also booked for a caesar and will be getting my shot in the third trimester.

I don't think the 10 year rule is correct though as my doctor said that immunity can easily be lost after 5 years.

Like someone suggested to me I would be happy to have hubbys boys tested for immunity maybe they don't need a booster after all as one had it 8 years ago and the other 10 years ago. But if they do need a booster and don't get it they can't visit.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to KittyDeFleur For This Useful Post:

Petal40  (17-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    I was actually gobsmacked when our younger sister refused to get the shot and our other sister had her bub. I asked the youngest one if she'd had her WC shot and she snidely remarked she wasn't visiting from a detention camp or something to that effect. I was a bit astounded that a simple trip to the gp was too big an ask.

she visited the baby a few times but didn't have a heap of contact. I was still a bit outraged on behalf of our sister who'd just had the baby though. like how hard is it to get a freaking shot?
    That is pretty pathetic on your sister's behalf. How her attitude will change when she has children.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Marchbundle View Post
    That is pretty pathetic on your sister's behalf. How her attitude will change when she has children.
    she's a fair bit younger than us and totally not in the baby headspace. not that that excuses it. I was very surprised at the attitude and quite surprised our sister (who had the baby) didn't insist on it.

I questioned the sister refusing to get jabbed a few times and she got quite shirty with me. I said its a serious thing and you just don't know but to my knowledge, she never got it done.

we currently all live in different states to eachother so non-vaxxer won't see our bub anyway, well not right away. so it's not really an issue for us luckily.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

Marchbundle  (17-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by KittyDeFleur View Post

I don't think the 10 year rule is correct though as my doctor said that immunity can easily be lost after 5 years.
    It's individual for everyone. If you look up the government immunisation site it states protection can last up to 10 years, but for some people, it doesn't even last 2. I guess it's a case by case basis. Neither of my older children live at home (being over 20), and were fully immunised growing up, and neither have had any major illnesses. So I'm happy to follow my Drs advice regarding them. They will probably only see baby a few times in the first couple of months anyway.
    Knowing the shortage of the vaccine, I'd also hate to think that they were using vaccinations that could be needed by a pregnant woman to cover her baby.