+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    The current recommendation is that anyone who is around high risk people (elderly, newborns, immunocompromised etc) have the vaccination every 5 years. Pregnant mothers are now being told to have the vaccination in the 3rd trimester of every pregnancy, regardless of how long it's been since last vaccination, to allow some protection to the unborn baby.

I know the old recommendation was that as long as you had a booster every 10 years you were covered, but with the higher incidence in whooping cough of late I *think* the general recommendation is becoming every 5 years now for the general population. I could be totally wrong of course. I have only ever worked with high risk groups so have been vaccinated myself multiple times.

I would just send out a general text/Facebook announcement and say that anyone who would like to visit within the first 6-8 weeks should be vaccinated. I would sit your step kids down and explain to them that you would like them to have the vaccine and why you would like them to have the vaccine. I think it's reasonable to ask them yourself, and as PPs have stated, they are both old enough to consent to having the vaccination without their mothers permission. Obviously your DH would need to be included in the conversation as well so he doesn't think you've gone behind his back. If you try not to get emotive/upset about it you'll probably have a better chance at getting both your SSs and DH on board. I definitely think it's worthwhile batting for the unborn child though, it's a fight worth fighting!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to M'LadyEm For This Useful Post:

wobbleyhorse  (17-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl79 View Post
    Qld is the same. I had to get boostrix flown up from Melbourne to cover my DH and my mum. Couldn't get any for my dad or extended family, there's just none available in qld. So as much as I want to implement no vax, no visit, I'm finding it incredibly hard to ask people to get vaccinated when I know that they actually can't - qld chemists have been out of stock of several months.

It's really scary and they're blaming an outbreak for the lack of stock but if they don't sort it soon things are going to get a lot worse.

NB GPs have limited stock for pregnant women.

Also have been given conflicting advice re how long it lasts. 2-10 years. My OB suggested 5.

I wish there were more clear info available and an Australia-wide stock not a state-by-state thing.

Also remember a vaccination is no guarantee they won't get it. I have 2 friends who have had WC despite being vaccinated.

So in addition to the vaccine, I'll be ensuring I keep my newborn pretty sheltered for the first few months, avoiding playgroups etc, carrying them close to me and not being handled other than immediate family/close friends.
    There is another one available and it has the polio vaccine in it. We couldn't get the boostrix for DP so got the other one instead. It's twice as much but obviously essential that DP had it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've relaxed a bit now. I had my vax at 32 weeks i think it is, so bub is actually covered until after she is born and is able to get vaxed at 6-8 weeks. In saying that though, anyone who is sick or unvaccinated children won't be coming near her. I think as a parent we have every right to decide who our babies come in contact with.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Marchbundle For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast  (17-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I asked everyone to get vaxxed and only one friend said no very respectfully but said that she will not visit Bub either then.
    Bub and I will be staying home for that time as well. I am having a ceasar.
    My mother in law will be around to do shopping and so on.
    I will perhaps take Bub for a walk but where I live I never run into anyone on the streets it's remote and basically bush haha.
    Of course I cannot totally diminish the risk but I can greatly reduce in asking that everyone that comes near Bub is being vaccinated.
    I will not visit public places as such either until Bub is protected at 6-8 weeks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    So if you've had the booster in late pregnancy (30 weeks) does that mean bub is protected until they get the shot at 6-8 weeks? I did have the booster but didn't actually ask if bub would be fully protected or if I should still keep her away from unvaccinated people.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Mama Mirabelle View Post
    So if you've had the booster in late pregnancy (30 weeks) does that mean bub is protected until they get the shot at 6-8 weeks? I did have the booster but didn't actually ask if bub would be fully protected or if I should still keep her away from unvaccinated people.
    is the booster the same as the shot? I'm confused with the term booster?

I had a jab between 33 and 34 weeks so I assume bub gets a little bit of immunity when he's born until when he gets his first round of shots at 6 weeks.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

sunnygirl79  (17-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The baby will be protected until they get their first shots. I made a point of asking the nurse when i got my vaccination. However, I don't want her around children who aren't vaccinated against anything or people who are sick.
    Last edited by Marchbundle; 17-02-2016 at 10:51.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Marchbundle For This Useful Post:

Mama Mirabelle  (17-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Is anyone's else's minds boggled at how many people WON'T get vaccinated??
    It just does my head in that they get 'offended' when you tell them that 'sorry, you can't see the greatest gift I have ever been given because you won't help protect their health and well being'
    The ones that joke and make snide comments are the ones I really don't get. Like killing your child (it happens!) Is a joke....

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kezty For This Useful Post:

A&S  (17-02-2016),Dougy  (17-02-2016),Wise Enough  (17-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    They have 'some' protection that's passed on through the mother. Absolutely better than none at all, but it's not the same as when they're fully immunised. Care must still be taken with regard to exposure etc.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sunnygirl79 For This Useful Post:

KittyDeFleur  (17-02-2016),Mama Mirabelle  (17-02-2016),Marchbundle  (17-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default No vax No visit?

Quote Originally Posted by kezty View Post
    Is anyone's else's minds boggled at how many people WON'T get vaccinated??
    It just does my head in that they get 'offended' when you tell them that 'sorry, you can't see the greatest gift I have ever been given because you won't help protect their health and well being'
    The ones that joke and make snide comments are the ones I really don't get. Like killing your child (it happens!) Is a joke....
    I was actually gobsmacked when our younger sister refused to get the shot and our other sister had her bub. I asked the youngest one if she'd had her WC shot and she snidely remarked she wasn't visiting from a detention camp or something to that effect. I was a bit astounded that a simple trip to the gp was too big an ask.

she visited the baby a few times but didn't have a heap of contact. I was still a bit outraged on behalf of our sister who'd just had the baby though. like how hard is it to get a freaking shot?

17. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

kezty  (17-02-2016)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast