+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by mmaf View Post
    MMR is a live immunisation- you can't have it while pregnant.

Try not stress too much. For how very contagious it is, I had it as a child and passed it on to no one else at school or in my family (rubella that is).
    I know we're talking about 'regular' measles with Mamsupial. But just a note that Rubella is serious if caught while pregnant, it can cause birth defects or pregnancy loss so while the person who has it may not be that unwell it is a worry for a pregnant person to catch it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialK View Post
    I
    TBH, I rarely see people with low/no measles immunity.
    That's interesting. Do you work in a health setting?

At my work we do all the pre-uni vax screening for students beginning studies to be health professionals (Medicine /nursing /physio etc), and get a lot (1 to 3/week at least) through with negative measles serology. Most students are aged 18-30 and in the cohort who have only had 1 MMR in childhood... of course this is why they bought in the 2nd childhood MMR vax. We also do serology on a lot of travellers and have quite a lot of negative results.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes, I think it's important to remind people that measles and rubella (previously known as German Measles) are two very different illnesses, with very different implications if contracted during pregnancy. All mums-to-be should be blood tested to ensure their rubella immunity is good before becoming pregnant.
    Many people get the 2 diseases mixed up..

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kaybaby For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (17-02-2016),HollyGolightly81  (17-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaybaby View Post
    That's interesting. Do you work in a health setting?

At my work we do all the pre-uni vax screening for students beginning studies to be health professionals (Medicine /nursing /physio etc), and get a lot (1 to 3/week at least) through with negative measles serology. Most students are aged 18-30 and in the cohort who have only had 1 MMR in childhood... of course this is why they bought in the 2nd childhood MMR vax. We also do serology on a lot of travellers and have quite a lot of negative results.
    Teehee, I get them all after you! I get them being employed in hospital.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialK View Post
    I'm not sure about that. The IgG level for rubella needs to be above 10 IU/L
    but usually (not always but generally) the measles and mumps test is just a "detected" or "not detected" result.

I check immunisation records for staff pre employment and I really see a figure for measles and mumps.
    Mine gives an exact figure.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Exposed to measles

Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    I know we're talking about 'regular' measles with Mamsupial. But just a note that Rubella is serious if caught while pregnant, it can cause birth defects or pregnancy loss so while the person who has it may not be that unwell it is a worry for a pregnant person to catch it.
    I didn't ever say that it wasn't? I was pointing out that it isn't necessarily as contagious as it sounds?

This is a conversation that has also occurred for most of yesterday in a DIG and it has already been made clear that it's not ideal.
    Last edited by mmaf; 17-02-2016 at 05:57.

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Exposed to measles

I didn't ever say that it wasn't? I was pointing out that it isn't necessarily as contagious as it sounds?
    I didn't get that from your post...but regardless, many people actually never get symptoms or they are very mild so it's impossible to say that you didn't pass it on to anybody. It is very contagious.

Anyways, it's been confused with measles a couple times in the thread, I was just making the distinction. No need to be defensive.
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 17-02-2016 at 06:02.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (17-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

This is a conversation that has also occurred for most of yesterday in a DIG and it has already been made clear that it's not ideal.
    ????

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's rubella (aka German measles) not measles, which this thread is about.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SpecialK For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (17-02-2016),HollyGolightly81  (17-02-2016),SSecret Squirrel  (17-02-2016)