+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week

Default Exposed to measles

So I've been in contact with someone who has been diagnosed with measles and so has my daughter (16 months).

What are the risks to me and my daughter? (I'm 13 weeks along).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Oh god, I would have freaked out as I am 37 weeks along. If your daughter has been vaccinated, she will still probably get them, but hopefully not a bad case. You being pregnant, I would probably get to the doctor asap and get some advice, just in case. I know that German measles can be deadly to pregnant women, I assume that measles can also be harmful. Seek some medical advice just to be sure.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would head to your GP to discuss. Try not to panic there's nothing you can do now to change what has happened. Hugs xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Head to your docs asap hun, depending on your immunity you may be ok, but if your immunity is low then they need to give you an immunisation to counter act it and it needs to be done ASAP. Have you had your first round of blood tests for this pregnancy to check all of your levels and immunity etc?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MrsMummaButterfly For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (16-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Marchbundle View Post
    Oh god, I would have freaked out as I am 37 weeks along. If your daughter has been vaccinated, she will still probably get them, but hopefully not a bad case. You being pregnant, I would probably get to the doctor asap and get some advice, just in case. I know that German measles can be deadly to pregnant women, I assume that measles can also be harmful. Seek some medical advice just to be sure.
    Isn't German Measles called Rubella, so not the same thing?

Did they check your immunity when you first got pregnant Mama, or when you were pregnant with your Dd? I'd still head to the GP as a precaution but I think you both should probably be ok assuming your immunity was fine and her 12 month vax helps.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (16-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    Isn't German Measles called Rubella, so not the same thing?

Did they check your immunity when you first got pregnant Mama, or when you were pregnant with your Dd? I'd still head to the GP as a precaution but I think you both should probably be ok assuming your immunity was fine and her 12 month vax helps.

Oh yeah german measles and rubella are one and the same, and they can be brutal to pregnant women but I assume that the normal measles, chicken pox, mumps would be harmful as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Marchbundle View Post
    Oh yeah german measles and rubella are one and the same, and they can be brutal to pregnant women but I assume that the normal measles, chicken pox, mumps would be harmful as well.
    I have no idea of the others, definitely see your GP, but Rubella actually crossed the placenta and causes issues with the fetus. I'm not sure if measles does as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    They did a blood test to check my immunity at the doctors just then. I know my immunity to rubella was low when I was pregnant with DD.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If you have no immunity to measles and you were in close contact with someone with measles there is a good chance you will contract it as its highly contagious. In theory though you should have some immunity from your childhood vax, although you really need 2 MMR vaccines to be protected.
    Your 16th old may be able to have her 18mth vax early, but discuss with your GP

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Gp said he wasn't concerned about DD, more concerned about me. He said to just get her next vax when it's due.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mamasupial For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (16-02-2016)