+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Ethics classes at primary school?

Does anyone's child do this instead of scripture? What kind of things do they learn?

My kids primary school, AFAIK, only has ethics in upper primary, which I have just realised now my DD is old enough to join. Of course I will chat to her about doing it (she currently does some religious one, maybe Anglican?), but I've realised that I don't know exactly what they do. I will ask the school too but I'm not there much anymore because of work, so just wanted some general info first.

TIA.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Anyone?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I love ethics! It should be part of the core curriculum. It's about developing students ability to see things from different sides, reasoning, learning how to debate using a philosophical inquiry model, it's about thinking and understanding perspective, empathy and developing understanding. So topics could include things like "what is fair?" And then students give examples, question, debate each other's responses etc..

4. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

CMF  (17-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Ethics classes at primary school?

I think the classes sound wonderful. They're run by primary ethics. They aim to teach kids to think about and discuss ethical conundrums. One example of a question I heard was 'you get invited to a classmate's party and you agree to go, but then your best friend invites you to their party on the same day at the same time. What should you do?' They then discuss the situation.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sally1981 For This Useful Post:

CMF  (17-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    This sounds amazing. At our school it's unfortunately scripture or sitting in on another class while your class has scripture.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    I love ethics! It should be part of the core curriculum. It's about developing students ability to see things from different sides, reasoning, learning how to debate using a philosophical inquiry model, it's about thinking and understanding perspective, empathy and developing understanding. So topics could include things like "what is fair?" And then students give examples, question, debate each other's responses etc..
    Quote Originally Posted by Sally1981 View Post
    I think the classes sound wonderful. They're run by primary ethics. They aim to teach kids to think about and discuss ethical conundrums. One example of a question I heard was 'you get invited to a classmate's party and you agree to go, but then your best friend invites you to their party on the same day at the same time. What should you do?' They then discuss the situation.
    Oh cool, that sounds awesome! Sounds like it should be taught to everyone though, not just the non-scripture kids!
    Thanks for the info.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok so a bit frustrated now... I spoke to the school this morning about the ethics classes. DD cannot do it atm because they don't have enough parent volunteers, they only have 2 atm and both classes are full. Fair enough. She mentioned a waiting list, and she said that DD can only go on the waiting list if she is enrolled in non-scripture already. DD is not enrolled in non-scripture because it's boring as batsh!t- they just have to sit in the library and do nothing/read- DD says she just wants to learn "something, not nothing".
    I said this to the office lady and she said "it's a politics thing; we are not allowed to let kids go from religious scripture to ethics, because the church doesn't want the ethics classes to even be allowed because they see they are stealing their members, and if that happens too much then they will withdraw their scripture volunteers and we don't want that to happen".

So basically, if the school gets another ethics teacher, we will not be informed, because they don't want to offend the church.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    Ok so a bit frustrated now... I spoke to the school this morning about the ethics classes. DD cannot do it atm because they don't have enough parent volunteers, they only have 2 atm and both classes are full. Fair enough. She mentioned a waiting list, and she said that DD can only go on the waiting list if she is enrolled in non-scripture already. DD is not enrolled in non-scripture because it's boring as batsh!t- they just have to sit in the library and do nothing/read- DD says she just wants to learn "something, not nothing".
    I said this to the office lady and she said "it's a politics thing; we are not allowed to let kids go from religious scripture to ethics, because the church doesn't want the ethics classes to even be allowed because they see they are stealing their members, and if that happens too much then they will withdraw their scripture volunteers and we don't want that to happen".

So basically, if the school gets another ethics teacher, we will not be informed, because they don't want to offend the church.
    I think you've just found the political issue. This is actually a really hot topic right now. I don't know where you are but in NSW public schools had to remove the option for ethics classes from the enrolment form entirely and only reveal the existence of the classes once a child chooses not to take religion. This was apparently because the premier needed Fred Nile's vote on an unrelated issue and that was the price.

Personally? I think the churches are behaving appallingly on this issue and I don't want my kid being taught anything by volunteers from organisations that take issue with kids learning ethics. Can your DD do her homework in that period, or bring in a deck of cards or a board game? Or even a book?

I looked into becoming an ethics volunteer but it requires you to be available for 1/2 hour a week on a weekday, which I don't have.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sally1981 View Post
    I think you've just found the political issue. This is actually a really hot topic right now. I don't know where you are but in NSW public schools had to remove the option for ethics classes from the enrolment form entirely and only reveal the existence of the classes once a child chooses not to take religion. This was apparently because the premier needed Fred Nile's vote on an unrelated issue and that was the price.

Personally? I think the churches are behaving appallingly on this issue and I don't want my kid being taught anything by volunteers from organisations that take issue with kids learning ethics. Can your DD do her homework in that period, or bring in a deck of cards or a board game? Or even a book?

I looked into becoming an ethics volunteer but it requires you to be available for 1/2 hour a week on a weekday, which I don't have.
    I'm in NSW, and yes as far as I know, ethics is not on the enrolment form. Even on the 'confirm your child's scripture option' form that DD pulled out of her bag this morning, it had tick a box for Catholic, Protestant, or non-scripture. At the bottom of the form, in small font and in brackets, it mentioned "ethics may be available depending on volunteer availability".
    And yes, she did mention about becoming a volunteer and she said the course sounded very interesting, which indeed it probably is, but I work through the week.

DD loves reading and does read a lot, plays cards etc, but she is an enthusiastic learner so she thinks that if she's at school she should be being taught something IYKWIM, rather than sitting and reading on her own. Also, the school librarian is scary lol.

It's all a bit disappointing really. Ethics classes sound great.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    I'm in NSW, and yes as far as I know, ethics is not on the enrolment form. Even on the 'confirm your child's scripture option' form that DD pulled out of her bag this morning, it had tick a box for Catholic, Protestant, or non-scripture. At the bottom of the form, in small font and in brackets, it mentioned "ethics may be available depending on volunteer availability".
    And yes, she did mention about becoming a volunteer and she said the course sounded very interesting, which indeed it probably is, but I work through the week.

DD loves reading and does read a lot, plays cards etc, but she is an enthusiastic learner so she thinks that if she's at school she should be being taught something IYKWIM, rather than sitting and reading on her own. Also, the school librarian is scary lol.

It's all a bit disappointing really. Ethics classes sound great.
    I think your daughter sounds like a lovely, intelligent young lady. I reckon we need to all start working on retirees we know - parents etc. They're the ones most likely to be able to find 1/2 an hour a week to do this and have the life experience to have some perspective.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Sally1981 For This Useful Post:

CMF  (17-02-2016)