Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by amyd View Post
    Salicylates can.
    Never heard of it...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default three yr old son is a monster.

This is taken from the fed up website that can sometimes cause hyperactivity/behavioural problems in kids - pretty much anything in a packet, jar, can or box check for these additives plus processed meats, sausages , dried fruits, bakery items, yogurts ( with flavours) plus as pp said you can have a reaction to salicylates ( found in most fruits and some veggies) and even gluten

avoid these additives
    COLOURS

132,133,142,143, 151,155

natural colour 160b (annatto)

PRESERVATIVES

Sorbates 200-203

Benzoates 210-213

Sulphites 220-228

Nitrates, nitrites 249-252

Propionates 280-283 cultured dextrose or cultured anything

SYNTHETIC ANTIOXIDANTS

Gallates 310-312

TBHQ, BHA, BHT 319-321

FLAVOUR ENHANCERS

Glutamates incl MSG 620-625

Ribonucleotides 627, 631, 635

Hydrolysed Vegetable Protein (HVP) other names

ARTIFICIAL FLAVOURS

No numbers since they are trade secrets

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Clementine Grace  (20-02-2016),Nafsika  (20-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    So its been nearly two months since i first posted about my monster son.
    Things with him are still a struggle and the behaviour isn't great but there have been improvments from him.
    I feel i am still seeing him as a baby and not a three yr old. I believe that i may have been a little soft on him sometimes and that it isnt helping him as he receives mixed messages from both parents. not ideal!
    we have looked into his diet a little and made a few adjustments and have noticed a small change.
    Fingers crossed this is the start of a new boy!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Happy to hear there's been some improvement OP.

Some people speak of a testosterone surge in little boys around age 3 which can mess with their behaviour. Most folks will tell you 3 is more challenging than 2 (even though the 'terrible twos' are talked about frequently!).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have a dd who is diagnosed with ADHD after many years of trying multiple things to improve her behaviour, changing her diet, trying to implement behaviour charts which do jack for her because she can't concentrate long enough to care what the outcome at the end of the day/week will be for her impulsive behaviours. We see a psychologist and a paed regularly for her behaviours. I've chosen to medicate because she was struggling badly at school and it has made a huge difference ( I know not everyone agrees with this but I am sick of justifying my actions to every man and dog that thinks ADHD is a made up condition). I have always been concerned about my daughters behaviour, she's always been erratic, defiant and constantly flitting from one activity to another, all her toys are broken/have missing pieces because she doesn't play with things properly because of her lack of attention span. We went to our gp when I couldn't take her behaviour anymore and was at snapping point and they referred us to a paed, she was too young at the time for any formal diagnosis but was informally diagnosed which meant we had to do things like she did have a diagnosis at school etc. she does sport, she's on a gluten free limited dairy diet which has helped marginally, I also monitor sugar/ preservative intake, she very rarely eats packaged foods, I even limit fruit intake because that sends her loopy, I try and make sure I'm touching her when I give her basic simple instructions which was an instruction by the paed. She thrives if given jobs to do, now she's medicated she can actually finish tasks, recently we were able to play a game of Uno, I nearly cried from excitement that she could sit with me and play a game and she enjoyed it. We still have daily struggles and are working on giving her coping mechanisms through therapy so she hopefully won't need to be medicated in the future, but it's a tool in our arsenal to manage this. I'm sorry for rambling I'm not sure how relevant any of this is, but your op reminded me of my 3 year old daughter and then all this spilled out.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to PipersMummy For This Useful Post:

lilypily  (18-04-2016)