+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    OP I can totally get your exasperation, I have a "spirited" boy the same age. He's very full on and in some similar and some different ways to your child but I can understand how hard some days can be.

Def try and find help, keep trying till you find the right thing. If you have a good GP I'd start there and get a referral to a paed and maybe a child psych.

My almost 3 year old is extremely hyperactive and while he can concentrate on things he wants to, he's not easy. He's a very skilled climber, tries to escape constantly from the car seat, is a bolter, and general just extremely high energy. Im yet to meet another child to rival him. He can get up at 6am and literally has to be wrestled to sleep by 10pm. He's on the go constantly, I've had 2 GP's tell me he's the most full on kid they've met and that was at 18 months. As a baby every single person would comment on how "wired" his eyes looked.

Diet i think can play a big role though sounds like you're already onto that. We are the same can't really give anything that comes in a packet (though I still let him have occasional treats, just have to be prepared for tornado mode for awhile). Has to be all clean/homemade food. We're about to see a new paed to talk about a more strict exclusion diet maybe limiting wheat and dairy.

A child psych might be a good place to start? If your GP can recommend a good one? My son is also a late talker and i think that can make their frustration greater.

Don't assume a dr is just going to put your kid on meds, there are lots of things im sure they can suggest to try.

Do you find he has even one activity that he really prefers?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Huge hugs darl. I'd take him to David and see if he can refer you on. I think there may be some referral type places locally - I was looking at one stage when J was like this.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

lisaandshaun  (17-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Degrassi View Post
    Sorry, but I do not think this is accurate. GP's are not going to diagnose something like ASD for example. They will refer out to a paed.

OP, I agree with previous posters - do take your DS to a GP and explain your concerns. 3 year olds are often extremely challenging behaviour wise, but it's better to be cautious by having your concerns explored with an expert.

If there is something more serious involved, it is best to get a firm diagnosis as quickly as possible.
    I wasn't giving my expert opinion I'm no where near an expert. Sorry if I came across this way.
    I'm just reflecting on a story that a girl told me once that they diagnosed her son with ADHD and she didn't accept it and later on found out it was a miss diagnoses. And just a behaviour issue which he is perfectly fine now. 😀

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Nafsika For This Useful Post:

Mod-Degrassi  (16-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi OP. I know you feed your son clean home made food, however I have taught children whose behaviour deteriorated after eating particular foods eg. Bbq'd sausages affected one child's behaviour and gluten affected a different child.
    Hang in there! Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sarahd80 View Post
    Hi OP. I know you feed your son clean home made food, however I have taught children whose behaviour deteriorated after eating particular foods eg. Bbq'd sausages affected one child's behaviour and gluten affected a different child.
    Hang in there! Good luck
    Yep it can be foods you don't expect. Cherry tomatoes set my DS as does citrus (whole fruit). Am assuming he doesn't get any juice, that can be a huge factor. Tomato sauce too. Gluten can apparently be a big culprit and while my DS gets gluten free pasta we're going to try eliminate all gluten to see if it helps.

A gp or paed might be able to shed light on this?

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 3yo can be a real turd. She currently has play dough everywhere, is horribly bossy and demanding, has the attention span of a goldfish. By all means get him checked, but don't panic yet, could just be the age....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    If he has delayed speech then I think he is frustrated and lashing out.

Please remember he is still only 2. I'm not sure what "set activities" you are talking about but my son would not really sit at 2 years old and do activities. He was much more interested in pushing cars, fire trucks, playing out the back and running around.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Nafsika View Post
    ok, where can I begin..... My son has a short attention span only to things he doesn't like. He has a sister also and jealousy does play a role as well.

I don't do much with him because he doesn't like to, both my kids are in dependant in that sense.

I wouldn't worry personally, and Drs are very quick to come up with diagnoses of any sort. And give medication out.

Have you tried the following?
    Asking him what he would like to do for the day? i am always involving him in the decision of what we do each day. but sometimes there just isnt time for choice.
    What he wants to wear? Both of my children have always had a choice as to what they wear. but clothing isnt an issue with him.
    Where to go? as above. lots of choice. depending on what is happening that day. sometimes it isnt possible for choice
    What he would like to eat? Etc

Maybe do cooking together....pancakes? Muffins?
    Gardening? Etc we do alot together just us two and then there are days when we do everything seperate. but the behaviour doesnt change.

Have you told him that his behaviour is bad and no one likes being hurt and it upsets them? yep do this all the time. he refuses to make eye contact and is VERY quick to say sorry. but again it doesnt seem to make a difference. they bahaviour comes back again straight away

I've tried the chair, the corner, put him outside, it doesn't work, his stubborn.

By all means go to a gp and get referred. There's also a bunch of websites to refer to.

Good luck and your not alone.
    i am tired of being the parent with the naughty rough child.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by amyd View Post
    Huge hugs darl. I'd take him to David and see if he can refer you on. I think there may be some referral type places locally - I was looking at one stage when J was like this.

thanks amy. i was thinking about seeing David but my last two appointments with him have been terrible. on both occasions i was told (in regards to the sleeping issues) to suck it up and he will grow out of it. so i am not too confidnent in going back

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hugs, I have 3 boys so I know it's hard!

My middle ds decided hissing at people would be fun when he didn't get his way.

I didn't quite see the seriousness of it until another child got scared of it!

I've very much laid down the rules now - and it for the most part, has worked. I know you've said you've tried and I'm no expert, just want u to know I totally get it!

My ds1 is pretty full on. He spends waaaay too much time watching TV and it means his concentration span is totally lacking. He had gotten better but I did make him go to OT for a while to really focus on fine motor and concentration at things he wasn't good at. It has helped, if perhaps that would be an option for you??

The other thing I've found is that if ds1 eats salty snacks eg shapes biscuits, he goes off his rocker. Not sure if that's anything useful to know or not.

Good luck