+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Swimming Lessons almost 2 year old

Hi ladies

Just wondering what your experiences have been with swimming lessons? My DS is almost 2. We started swimming lessons when he was 6 months old but stopped after a few months as he was constantly getting sick and missing lessons. He was ok with them but wasn't overly fussed. We started again last September at a different swim school. He seems to start the lesson of really well but as soon as we do any activity with his floating on his back or sitting on the mat he hates it he also hates going under which the other kids seem ok with. I don't know if he just doesn't want to do it or he is scared. I don't think he is scared cause he loves going in the pool. I just hate going every week and having that wingey child when all the other kids are happy and doing each activity. I dunno am I wasting my time and money or will he grow out of this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DD2 (turning 3 in May) is the same. She loves the shallow pool, but hates going on the mat, hates not being able to stand up in the deep pool, hates getting her head wet. My eldest girl was exactly the same at this age and she's a total water baby now (she's 5) so I have hopes that DD2 will grow out of it too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunnybambino View Post
    My DD2 (turning 3 in May) is the same. She loves the shallow pool, but hates going on the mat, hates not being able to stand up in the deep pool, hates getting her head wet. My eldest girl was exactly the same at this age and she's a total water baby now (she's 5) so I have hopes that DD2 will grow out of it too.

Thanks for the reply glad to know I'm not alone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    He should grow out of it. My DS has been doing swimming since he was 4 months old and is now 2.5. He went through a phase at about 2 where he hated going and would make every lesson a misery. The other kids seemed to be enjoying themselves and cooperating, while mine was combative and screamed when he knew he was going under. I considered taking him out for a while but decided to persist and since coming back from the Xmas break he's been great, it's like it's all clicked for him now. I was so proud of him after his last lesson, it was actually enjoyable!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to calicocat For This Useful Post:

FTMumma  (16-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Two of my kids hated swimming lessons as toddlers...they were terrified of going under and deep water, but loved to splash around in shallow pools/beach etc. I ended up giving it away for a while. Restarted at about age 4 and they took to it straight away and learned to swim quickly. The early lesson weren't worth the trauma!

Thanks
    Reviews
    We're in the same situation! Started early, had a break over winter, now DD is 19 months & HATES swimming lessons!
    Its a real struggle having the grumpy child I'm finding lessons really stressful right now.
    No advice sorry- but you're not the only one x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I just wanted to say it's not uncommon for 2 year olds to behave like that in the pool, regardless of how long they have or haven't being doing lessons. In my experience they go through phases in the pool and sometimes this means they muck up and whinge and seem to hate it - and a few weeks later they're right as rain.
    It is very tiring but try to persist if you can. Maybe ask the teacher for advice and get to a pool (if you don't have one) in between lessons for a bit of 'fun' time as lessons can be tiresome for toddlers. Its all about persistence with the lessons combined with making swimming a fun activity.

I noticed a vast improvement in DS behaviour at swimming once he graduated to the transition class - essentially when they're in the pool independent of a parent. This was around 2.5 for us but it might be a while off for you yet, try to hang in there.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnygirl79 For This Useful Post:

rosey82  (16-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Swimming Lessons almost 2 year old

Kids hate being on their backs it's very rare that they automatically like it! It is something that takes getting used to. My DD is almost 2.5 and she's been swimming since was 1. Some days she's fine on her back and others she screams blue murder. I always give her a 1,2,3 star before we go onto a star float and then count to 5 before bringing her back up. That way she knows there's an end point. If you are doing activities that involve moving on their backs the quicker you move the less unhappy they will generally be.
    With the mat - it's unstable, it isn't a comfortable feeling necessarily! Especially when they know they'll be jumping in at the end and if they don't like getting their faces in the water this isn't something to look forward to! Don't stress, maybe just encourage crawling across etc for now?
    Whenever you are going to be putting them underwater count to 3 first. Gives a warning and means they know what is coming. Never put them under if they are crying as they will swallow water. I always use a sieve to 'give a shower' at first so they get used to having the water coming over their face :-)
    Make sure you encourage blinking instead of rubbing eyes - by rubbing they are just forcing the water over their eyeballs and it will be sore, blinking helps to flush it out.

If they aren't enjoying an activity then sit it out or go and take them to a corner to have a bit of a splash. Maybe take a favourite bath toy with you to 'join in' with the lesson? Or just a favourite toy to watch from the side.
    (Am a swim teacher for kids under 5)
    Last edited by LaDiDah; 16-02-2016 at 14:18.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to LaDiDah For This Useful Post:

Sunnybambino  (17-02-2016)