+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Do you buy clothes with hand me down in mind?

I am pregnant with baby number 3. However this is the first time I will have a relatively 'normal' age gap of just under 4 years.

We had already got rid of the bulk of our baby things from DS2 believing we would not have another. Now that number 3 who is also a boy, is on the way I find myself thinking about the hand me down concept.

So when you buy clothes for your kids do you buy with the thought of them being passed on to the younger child? So buy the best quality you can afford etc... Or do you not worry and just accept that some clothes will make it to the next child and some will go to the rag bag?

Just about to buy DS2's winter wardrobe and pondering this question.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    With things that are going to be worn around the house and are more likely to end up stained etc., I don't spend much. But, for more 'dressy' outfits and things not worn as much like jackets etc., I'll pay more if it means they will last longer.

I have tubs under the cot that I store the outgrown clothes in, then go through and pull out the appropriate size and season as needed. Then I go out and top up what didn't make the cut to the tubs. I'm brutal with what gets stored and will not keep anything with even minimal wear and tear, so the casual house clothes are usually what I need to replace.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (16-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

For the more expensive items, yes. Like grobags. I bought in unisex colours in case we had a boy for a second. Same with wondersuits.

I found though most clothes apart from the onesies they eventually got ruined, faded, stretched and stained, so I didn't keep them. But I kept all the beautiful dresses and tops - however they were kept nice as they were usually the most impractical so barely got worn lol.

Now I know we have another girl, I but dd1s outfits with longevity to pass on to dd2 in mind.

Eta: we know this is our last child so I'm not spending as much on dd2s clothing, cheap best and less etc practical clothing will do.
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 16-02-2016 at 08:03.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (16-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Yes I do.

With 3 boys I try to get the good stuff as I truly believe it lasts longer. I don't mean designer (eg Ralph Lauren polo etc) but industrie jackets & shirts, quicksilver etc.

Eg every winter I buy a $90 jacket for ds1, and have ds3 in ds1's hand me downs.

Trakkies I go for middle of the range otherwise they don't even last 1 winter.
    Last edited by misho; 16-02-2016 at 08:36.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to misho For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (16-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Great thanks. That all makes sense. Some of DS2's things that he wears to playgroup etc.. are getting trashed. But I'm thinking winter coats and those sorts of things yes t makes sense to buy with handing it down to DS3 in mind as well.
    @misho I love the industrie boys wear. It's good quality for the price and does seem to last well! I just gave a way all DS's indie jeans and long sleeve shirts from last winter - about 3 weeks before I found I was pregnant! Darn it lol

9. The Following User Says Thank You to binnielici For This Useful Post:

misho  (16-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by binnielici View Post
    Great thanks. That all makes sense. Some of DS2's things that he wears to playgroup etc.. are getting trashed. But I'm thinking winter coats and those sorts of things yes t makes sense to buy with handing it down to DS3 in mind as well.
    @misho I love the industrie boys wear. It's good quality for the price and does seem to last well! I just gave a way all DS's indie jeans and long sleeve shirts from last winter - about 3 weeks before I found I was pregnant! Darn it lol
    The Xmas sales are great for this sort ofstuff. I try and stock up then for the forthcoming winter. Costs me a fair bit but at least I'm set for that year.

Good luck for your pregnancy!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to misho For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (16-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Double post.

Normally I do the sales but just didn't for last winter. I did grab his full summer wardrobe for later this year thought. Just have to remember to hit the winter sales this year!

Thanks
    Reviews
    i buy mostly kmart or target clothing, theyve gone through 3 boys so far and are being handed down to my nephew who is 9 months younger then my ds

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Nemmi1987 For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (16-02-2016)