+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    Can I just add, I really don't want this to turn into a debate where either 'side' feels they need to defend themselves. I chose to post it in the cosleeping section because I know there are a few of us in the past and currently who have dealt with the feelings like we are doing something wrong if we end up cosleeping. I wasn't meaning this as a jab to people who do not cosleep or want to sleep train, I think we all know I'm a pretty middle ground between the two, I was posting it as a little encouragement to those of us in the midst of these feelings and needing some reassurance that it's ok if it's what we feel we need to do.
    Totally agree...I'm very much a do what works for you kinda parent...I would have loved bed - sharing to work for me...for my first (and worst lol) child I think I may have tried almost everything...until I eventually found something that worked for us.
    I think there is danger in advocating something too strongly either way, although can understand the govt advocating the SIDS guidelines strongly (after all they have worked successfully and no doubt saved lives).
    All patenting philosophies have limitations, whether they are anthropological or modern. There is no "right way". My 10yo DS shares my bed...and I can't see him moving out too soon. Do I care what anyone says or thinks? Nope

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wonderful article! Have shared with everyone I know lol..

I was one of those people that poo pooed co sleeping before I actually had a child.. Now me and my 7mth DD do about 70:30 split. 70 in her cot, 30 in with me. It's relaxed, it's fluid, it's ever changing and it works for us.

The biggest lesson I'm learning is that go the path of least resistance and as nature intended where possible. Makes mine and bubs life s lot easier!

I especially like the comment about not being embarrassed about bed sharing. If it was more advocated then maybe I wouldn't have been so blinkered myself.

My other realisation is my DD is growing at a rate much faster than I'm comfortable with.. She'll be a teenager before I know it so I'm taking all the cuddles while I can!

Thanks for sharing 😘

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to amiracle4me For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (16-02-2016),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (16-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaybaby View Post
    Totally agree...I'm very much a do what works for you kinda parent...I would have loved bed - sharing to work for me...for my first (and worst lol) child I think I may have tried almost everything...until I eventually found something that worked for us.
    I think there is danger in advocating something too strongly either way, although can understand the govt advocating the SIDS guidelines strongly (after all they have worked successfully and no doubt saved lives).
    All patenting philosophies have limitations, whether they are anthropological or modern. There is no "right way". My 10yo DS shares my bed...and I can't see him moving out too soon. Do I care what anyone says or thinks? Nope
    I'm a huge advocate for SIDS education, I know people who have lost their babies from it through my baby loss support group. But cosleeping, happens (often out of exhaustion) and there are definitely safe ways to do it, if you've ever been on his website he discusses it. Co-sleeping is dangerous when it is done wrong/accidentally.

If more people were educated on the benefits of co-sleeping or rooming in in regards to SIDS (mom's breathing regulating baby's breathing) and the various safe ways to do it then there would probably be less sleeps accidents. Making people ashamed of doing it leads to them to not seeking safe and correct info and doing it accidentally.

We should also note that 'sleep accidents' are not the same as SIDS. SIDS is when they cannot find a reason why the baby died. Something like suffocation is not the same. But yes, some co-sleeping arrangements can lead to either happening (overheating from and unsafe blanket, etc).

Anyways, I just know sometimes some of us need to read something to help us feel a little encouraged about our choices and thought those who have 'fallen into' cosleeping would appreciate it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (16-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Interview with expert on mother and infant sleep

Quote Originally Posted by amiracle4me View Post
    Wonderful article! Have shared with everyone I know lol..

I was one of those people that poo pooed co sleeping before I actually had a child.. Now me and my 7mth DD do about 70:30 split. 70 in her cot, 30 in with me. It's relaxed, it's fluid, it's ever changing and it works for us.

The biggest lesson I'm learning is that go the path of least resistance and as nature intended where possible. Makes mine and bubs life s lot easier!

I especially like the comment about not being embarrassed about bed sharing. If it was more advocated then maybe I wouldn't have been so blinkered myself.

My other realisation is my DD is growing at a rate much faster than I'm comfortable with.. She'll be a teenager before I know it so I'm taking all the cuddles while I can!

Thanks for sharing 😘
    Agree. I was so anxious about SIDS that I really fought co-sleeping, but as I said in my pp, a little education can go a long way. We ended up getting a co-sleeper bassinet when he was 2 weeks old which saved my sanity and then similar to you, when he was older, he would be in his cot the first part of the night and then in me with after that. A friend had sent me McKenna's site early on thank god. He's done a lot of research, not just observed his wife☺️.
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 16-02-2016 at 18:17.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Unfortunately often govt education campaigns have to take a bit of a hard line. The truth is parents who frequent parenting forums, research and read parenting articles are the least likely to bed - share in an unsafe manner. It's a bit like the people who need parenting classes are the ones least likely to attend! Many health promotions are aimed at the "lowest common denominator ", the "rules" are clear and simple, black and white...because it works. If you fill a health campaign with to much gray, it becomes confusing for those that don't have the time, inclination, education or interest to do their own research. The KISS principle.
    Parenting and many other things is many shades of gray.