+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default What do you think of this?

Last edited by eastofeden; 15-02-2016 at 19:03.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It's not appropriate for another child to be monitoring behavior or handing out discipline. The other teacher should be doing this...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't think it's ideal (or helpful), but unfortunately that's often the case when it comes to classroom management. It can be very difficult to address the needs of every child, whilst still appearing to be fair - especially if the teacher doesn't know the class well. It'd be worth mentioning to the teacher(s) so that can improve their strategies for the future. It'd also be worth letting them know WHY your son's upset about it, and perhaps his teacher could have a little chat with him so that he feels his concerns have been heard and validated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I agree with kaybaby that it is inappropriate for a slightly older child to be in charge of issuing infringements. It isnt fair on the child tasked with that, and it isnt fair on the recipient. I think there does need to be consistency with things like the timing of the 'consequence ' for each child so everyone knows what to expect. The school should have a transparent policy about things like that so maybe you can ask the teacher about that?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to littleriv For This Useful Post:

BettyW  (15-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Renn View Post
    It can be very difficult to address the needs of every child, whilst still appearing to be fair - especially if the teacher doesn't know the class well. It'd be worth mentioning to the teacher(s) so that can improve their strategies for the future.
    Which is why trained professionals should be managing behaviour, not a Year 4 student. 😣 If the other teacher penalised him I would say to basically just tell him he has to deal, because I would assume that teacher would address it with him in a way that helps him to control his impulses/ behaviour prior to his 3 warnings, because she (?) knows about his diagnosis. Having a 9 or 10 year old responsible for effectively handing out lunchtime detentions is awful. Having a student notice 'good things' and give out rewards would be ok but not punishments. And I agree that an infraction from Friday shouldn't be carried out on Monday at that age.

Is your DS's class simply sent to this other classroom in addition to that teacher's students? Is your DS's teacher not covered by an additional teacher? I would have a problem with that - I'm a teacher and that is dodgy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Is the next door teacher in the room all the time? I'm a bit confused. If they are there all the time the other student shouldn't need to be giving warnings and if they aren't there all the time I would be complaining about a lack of supervision.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default What do you think of this?

I would have absolutely no feelings about the matter either way until I'd spoken to the teacher/s. Kids have a habit of misunderstanding things like this. I know when DS's teacher is away they divide the kids up into different rooms (3-4 to each room) rather than use a sub, so I doubt the case was that the classroom was left alone with a teacher looking in occasionally as some PP's seem to think must be happening. As for the 'monitor', I don't know. I would be waiting to speak to the teacher and try to go in with no assumptions as you've only got your DS's side of the story (in no way saying he's made it up, but kids can get things way off the mark)

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

littleriv  (15-02-2016),Renn  (15-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    I would have absolutely no feelings about the matter either way until I'd spoken to the teacher/s. Kids have a habit of misunderstanding things like this. I know when DS's teacher is away they divide the kids up into different rooms (3-4 to each room) rather than use a sub, so I doubt the case was that the classroom was left alone with a teacher looking in occasionally as some PP's seem to think must be happening. As for the 'monitor', I don't know. I would be waiting to speak to the teacher and try to go in with no assumptions as you've only got your DS's side of the story (in no way saying he's made it up, but kids can get things way off the mark)
    Yes good call - kids often misunderstand what's happened and tell their parents a very interesting interpretation of events - my reactions would all be based on clarifying what happened and responding if it was all as OP's son reports.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the input. Will definitely be getting the full story before reacting

12. The Following User Says Thank You to eastofeden For This Useful Post:

littleriv  (15-02-2016)