+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    After losing our five and a half year old daughter, our mantra now is - 'Life's too short'.
    Both our children have always had a big party each birthday and we continue to celebrate Sian's birthday with a party each year - cake, party bags, games. The only difference is that the birthday girl is watching us all from heaven. She would be turning 10 in September, and I'm already planning her party in my mind. Yes, it breaks my heart that she's not here in body to enjoy her special day and all the effort that I put into her party, but I know she's watching from above and it's always a really happy celebration of the five years, eight months and one day she spent here on earth with us.
    Our little boy will be 6 in October and is already excited about the thought of a party. Besides the fact that I love planning and putting on children's parties, I think it's just so important to celebrate their life and all they've achieved in the past year. In the case of our son, he is so VERY precious to us and we are blessed that we're able to watch him blow his candles out each year, so we celebrate him with a big party.
    I would be incredibly sad to think that parents saw it as an imposition and inconvenience to have to bring their children to our children's parties. Every time our son receives a party invitation, I feel grateful that he is liked enough by the birthday child for them to want him at their special occasion.

2. The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to siansmum For This Useful Post:

cheeeeesecake  (15-02-2016),DarcyJ  (16-02-2016),dollypops  (15-02-2016),Elijahs Mum  (15-02-2016),Foxy  (15-02-2016),GirlsRock  (15-02-2016),GlitterFarts  (15-02-2016),LaDiDah  (15-02-2016),LoveLivesHere  (15-02-2016),ManchesterLass  (16-02-2016),MillieMollyMandy  (15-02-2016),MissMuppet  (15-02-2016),mummybear13  (15-02-2016),PomPoms  (15-02-2016),Purple Poppy  (15-02-2016),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (15-02-2016),smallpotatoes  (15-02-2016),VicPark  (15-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My eldest daughter had her first birthday party at age 10, and was able to have a birthday party at the rollerdrome which is what she wanted and she invited 6 little friends. My youngest daughter is 9 and will get to have her first party at aged 10 too. That is my personal choice. After that it will be aged 13. They still don't miss out, they get to choose what they want to do on their birthdays, like if they want to go out to dinner or do an activity as a family. My kids seem happy with that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Marchbundle View Post
    My eldest daughter had her first birthday party at age 10, and was able to have a birthday party at the rollerdrome which is what she wanted and she invited 6 little friends. My youngest daughter is 9 and will get to have her first party at aged 10 too. That is my personal choice. After that it will be aged 13. They still don't miss out, they get to choose what they want to do on their birthdays, like if they want to go out to dinner or do an activity as a family. My kids seem happy with that.
    Hey not saying it's the same with your family just wanted to note that I only had two birthday parties growing up - one when I was about 8 (my parents invited all their friends kids) and one when I was 13 (which was a great party). I was jelous of my friends whose parents would plan awesome parties for them. And ****ed at my parents. I never told them though so they would probably be unaware that I hold a grudge. However in my case it was a sign of bigger issues at play - I'm sure it's not the same in your case hence your kids probably feel different.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We will be doing parties every year.. Never even crossed my mind not to lol I always had a party growing up - some much smaller than others especially as I got older (visiting theme parks, sleepovers etc).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I ask the kids each year what they would like to do (aside from first birthdays, I do a party for that). They can have a party or choose something special to do. DS chose a party for his 5th, but otherwise they have chosen activities, we went to Seaworld yesterday to celebrate DD's 4th birthday.

I've got a couple of friends who have parties every year, it doesn't worry me but my preference is not to have a party, I don't enjoy planning and preparing for them so I leave it up to the kids to decide.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'm a little bit over parties now (ds 6 and dd 8 ) last year for dd's 8th birthday I ditched the party and took her to see disney on ice, which we had to travel a long way for on a train, and she loved it. I took ds to a playcentre and movies for his 6th birthday after nobody showed up for his 5th except for family. I won't go through the rsvp drama and upset again, I may still have a small party for them occasionally but I'm thinking I'll keep doing something else special for them on their birthday like zoos, shows, holidays, etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I still always make them a cake of their own choosing though which I think they get the most excited about anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My nieces and nephews get a party every year. Since the children of one 'sister' are now living with their nan they had the first birthday parties of their life aged 5. 10 and 12 and it made my heart hurt to see my nephew especially, so happy to finally get one that he was in tears. Made me cry for him for losing out on such a special thing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Gp tt

Thanks
    Reviews
    We are planning to do a party each year. Birthdays are special and they get so excited. A good reminder reading through posts money can be an issue for people so might start using the no gift required line.