+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Phony View Post

Just a question in regards to expense - would anyone specify on the invitation that it's no presents but if you really feel you should bring something then $5 in a card is more than enough?
    I wanted to do this for his party back then and if he wants another party I'll be considering it again.
    I think it would be welcomed by most parents (might even catch on) but I don't know , is it bad taste?
    I would find this to be in poor taste, sorry. If money is an issue there's no reason you can't make a party super cheap. We had DS's 5th birthday at a playground- I bought about $50 worth of snacks (lollies, fruit, chips) and a piñata. His cake was just a plain Coles one we decorated ourselves.

To answer the OP my kids have parties every year- alternating with a bigger and smaller party. And I get why it's annoying to get so many invites- I don't like getting invited to lots of things either, as we are already pretty busy with activities, chores and visiting family on the weekend. I like to be able to have *some* time together on the weekend as a family! You can always set a limit to which parties you say yes to.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Just a question in regards to expense - would anyone specify on the invitation that it's no presents but if you really feel you should bring something then $5 in a card is more than enough?
    I wanted to do this for his party back then and if he wants another party I'll be considering it again.
    I think it would be welcomed by most parents (might even catch on) but I don't know , is it bad taste?
    My DS is only about to have his 3rd birthday but we try to politely say that no gifts are required. He gets totally spoilt by his grandparents and family/really close friends so he really doesn’t need gifts. This might change as he gets older. I love doing kids parties, I like to make a big effort to make it fun andhave a theme and I never know if it sounds rude, but I do like to say no presents are needed. We just want DS to have a fun day with his friends and family, and most will still bring a gift anyway. We’d never mention money, for me it’s my pleasure to host a party, I enjoy it so don’t require anything, justfor people to have a good time. Each to their own though.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (15-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    I would find this to be in poor taste, sorry. If money is an issue there's no reason you can't make a party super cheap. We had DS's 5th birthday at a playground- I bought about $50 worth of snacks (lollies, fruit, chips) and a piñata. His cake was just a plain Coles one we decorated ourselves.
    I think we've got our wires crossed here.
    I was trying to spare some expense on our invited guests (not me) and I also don't want him getting a ridiculous amount of presents.
    To me, the party is a present to be shared with friends.
    Of course he'd get presents from family but I think it's really OTT for each child to bring one too. It's just not needed.

@Clementine Grace, do your guests take on board your request or arrive with presents anyway?

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I was trying to spare some expense on our invited guests (not me) and I also don't want him getting a ridiculous amount of presents.
    Of course he'd get presents from family but I think it's really OTT for each child to bring one too. It's just not needed.

@Clementine Grace, do your guests take on board your request or arrive with presents anyway?
    Ohhh ok the $5 thing had me confused. I thought you meant like a birthday wishing well to cover costs, lol. I would just say no presents and leave it at that some people like to bring presents anyway. I think if you said money in a card people might think you expected that, even though you don't.
    I've been to plenty of 'no presents' parties and we just make a handmade card for those.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

Clementine Grace  (15-02-2016),Phony  (15-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Haha, no.
    I just wouldn't have a party if it came to that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lilypily View Post
    My son is nearly 5. He knows which friends have had birthdays and who is to come. Im not sure how he would tell his friends he had his birthday but they weren't invited if we were to do a small family birthday. He loves them so much and loves going to his friends birthdays. If you have small birthdays and big birthdays on alternate years how do your kids find this in a school situation? Just genuinely curious.
    My kids cope with small birthday parties just fine...because no one in our school really does the whole 'whole class' party thing, so they are used to sometimes not being invited, and understand the whole not being able to invite everyone to their party thing.

We don't do parties every year. But we do celebrate the kids birthdays every year with something special...which is what my parent's did for us and we never felt like we were missing out on the years we didn't have a party.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Degrassi View Post
    Spare a thought for children like my DS who is on the spectrum and will inevitably be that kid that others will exclude from parties because he's different and they don't 'get' him. I'm sure we'll cherish any invitations we receive
    I know where you are coming from Degrassi. My DS1 has recently received his first ever birthday invite and I feel like we've won Lotto!

I no longer do a party each year - purely because working full time and doing house stuff I an exhausted and don't have the time. I will do the big birthdays though. Ds1 is 5 this year and I will invite his whole class because I couldn't stand the thought of some poor kid who is having difficulties making friends miss out. I know I won't be able to do this forever but for his fifth birthday I will.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Sorry I couldn't do this - for some reason I find it really bad taste to specify a gift to bring. I would rather invite folks to a picnic and have everyone bring a plate to share.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Degrassi View Post

Spare a thought for children like my DS who is on the spectrum and will inevitably be that kid that others will exclude from parties because he's different and they don't 'get' him. I'm sure we'll cherish any invitations we receive
    Don't be so sure...there's a child on the spectrum (he has a full time aid at school his needs are significant) in one of my kid's years and he gets invited to HEAPS of parties (that aren't whole school parties), and when he had his own party all the kids he invited went.

Thanks
    Reviews

We've asked for no presents but got them anyhow.

Personally if I read 'no presents' we'd still buy something but it would take the pressure off. I noticed there's some cool lego things for $7 and thats my go to. Or a book.