+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default to continue or not

I am currently doing the last unit in my undergrad degree with plans to go on to honors which was meant to start in semester 2. I need to do honors then masters in my chosen course for the degree to be of any value.

I have an essay that is currently 2 weeks overdue - I haven't started. The unit convenor is being very understanding because the reason it hasn't been submitted is severe, acute mental health issues that they have medical documentation for as well as me having an access plan in place to cover. There is also an exam coming up that I am in no way prepared for in just over a week as well as another deferred exam (which I can defer once more under special consideration).

So do I attempt to do this complicated essay asap in the hope I can do a reasonable enough job & not do badly enough in both exams that it won't impact on my ability to do masters (very competitive program to get into so high marks are essential) or do I cut my losses now, withdraw hopefully without academic penalty for now & waste what work I've done in the unit & push everything back by nearly a year.

I guess the complicating factor being that I cannot redo this unit until semester 2 & doing nothing until then will not be good for my mental health

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    I was going to suggest postponing but if you think that would make you worse id give it a go.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It seems like you've got the support of your lecturer which is great. Can you ask whether you will be able to redo the subject in the event you do not achieve a high enough mark to enter the masters program?

I understand what you are saying about throwing away what you have done and not being able to start agin until semester 2. But if it means you don't achieve a high enough grade to make the masters then it may be best to postpone. I would think with the medical evidence you have you'll be able to withdraw without academic penalty (and with out HELP penalties as well).

Perhaps you could do some other coursework in the first semester? Or can you do the subject through another Uni in first semester (online/externally) and get credit?

I get that may all seem like too much right now. Can you go and see an academic counsellor and lay it all on the table and ask for their guidance and help?

Hugs honey I know it's really rough for you right now xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you can I would draw on every support you can and try to get it done, all you have to do is pass it, it doesn't have to be your best effort, save that for when you get well.

You are so upfront with your issues and I think it's a real credit to you. One day it will be behind you and you will have got through it and still have your studies that you have worked so hard for.

If you can hang in there of course

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ICanDream View Post
    If you can I would draw on every support you can and try to get it done, all you have to do is pass it, it doesn't have to be your best effort, save that for when you get well.
    Unfortunately, with what I am studying, just a pass won't cut it or else I may as well forget any aspirations for necessary post-grad as it is unit that is heavily weighted in that regard. And utilising all the supports in place isn't doing anything to help with the concentration levels.

The unit can't be redone if I pass - I would need to fail to be able to redo which would bring it's own problems. Having said that, I've been told it is likely that withdrawing shouldn't be a problem or the other option is getting the essay done and then applying for special consideration to defer both exams then I can use semester 1 to revise the work for both exams or start research for what I am thinking for my honors thesis.

Maybe I'll email my convenor about it & see what she would do given her knowledge of the faculty & role in degree design etc. Aaargh too hard to try to think rationally or plan anything when you can't see past the next hour let alone the future clearly

Thanks
    Reviews
    @pointless1 I think you need to reach out to the advisors/counsellors at uni. They can help you do what has to be done and with the decisions that need to be made. Then you can focus on getting healthy again xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would probably do it and know it wasn't my best work. Life has a way of getting in the way of plans. Even if you started again next year stuff might come up.

I have followed your story and know how severe this is. And I would still do it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the responses. After speaking to a student counsellor yesterday & a long think about it, I'm not going to risk getting a low mark & missing out on post grad so once I get my fail grade for both units I'll be applying for special consideration to get rid of academic & financial penalties which the student counsellor cannot see being a problem