+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Help with new job idea

I'm on parenting leave from my career and I'm really interested in testing the waters with something else before I go back. I enjoy a little bit of cheese making as a hobby and I'd love to work a day or two in a cheese making business. There is one nearby but I don't know how to approach them about possible work and don't want to look silly. They have a shop front as well as the making area but I have zero experience and don't know how many people they employ etc. and whether I'd need some sort of education or experience. What would you do??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Maybe ask if you could do some volunteer work as you are passionate about making cheese and would like to learn more about all aspects. All you can do is ask.

I remember when I was younger, I was studying a Diploma in Library Services and asked the library if I could do volunteer work, which turned into casual then permanent part time.

You never know, the manager/owner may love the fact that someone is interested and show you more aspects of the business.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Marchbundle For This Useful Post:

NAT2561  (14-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I should say. ..I don't want to learn and run my own business one day. I just want to be able to mix my career with doing something else that is hands on and an interest one day in the future. So working for someone is fine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Even if you don't want to do volunteer work, maybe go to the cheesemaking places, and ask how they got started, what courses they did. If you ask lots of questions, people tend to want to talk about themselves a lot more, and you could get some info and some avenues to start in.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Marchbundle For This Useful Post:

NAT2561  (14-02-2016)