+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have not been in paid work since before my DS was born in April 14!

Thankfully hubby earns a good wage working fifo, because I don't have any family tax or money coming in at all.
    I solely rely on him to provide for us.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I havent read any replies yet but IMO you could see the situation this way: get a salary for the work you do at your DHs business + for the child rearing work.
    If you were to work outside the home you'd have to pay for childcare so it seems fair to me that this money is paid to you.
    Then you can divide rent and all other expenses.

Personally all monies coming in are put in our joint account and this pays for all expenses + a play allowance each.
    It stays that way whatever each person contribution is. So when I was on unpaid leave, I wasn't contributing by bringing money in but I would get the same benefit out as before.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    I agree completely!! Have any of the other PPs considered that maybe her partner doesn't earn enough money to pay the rent etc? Yes he should be contributing as much as he can but his salary isn't going to magically increase because he now has a baby.
    I considered that. However it's a bit hard when the OP hasn't come back to clarify (yet).

4. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (15-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I've not been in unpaid work but certainly had reduced income during my maternity leave but my husband has never and would never tell me to pay bills during this time. I think it's absurd and I would be totally offended and hurt if he told me I had to pay bills whilst I was not earning money raiding his children. Not on.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dh and I have separate bank accounts. Normally he pays bills and mortgage, I pay for groceries and kid stuff.
    I was on unpaid mat leave for about 5 months. Dh paid the bills but my money was still spent on groceries and things like lunch etc when taking kids to the shop.
    It was probably about a month before I went back to work when I ran out of savings so dh ended up transferring money into my account. I don't think he should expect you to contribute to rent if the earnings from the business is able to cover it. I do think that it would be reasonable for you to use up some your savings though. I also think cutting back on luxuries is fair enough.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Financial arrangements while on unpaid maternity leave

Quote Originally Posted by Jontu View Post
    Dh and I have separate bank accounts. Normally he pays bills and mortgage, I pay for groceries and kid stuff.
    I was on unpaid mat leave for about 5 months. Dh paid the bills but my money was still spent on groceries and things like lunch etc when taking kids to the shop.
    It was probably about a month before I went back to work when I ran out of savings so dh ended up transferring money into my account. I don't think he should expect you to contribute to rent if the earnings from the business is able to cover it. I do think that it would be reasonable for you to use up some your savings though. I also think cutting back on luxuries is fair enough.
    This was our arrangement too. We have separate accounts, it Doesn't mean we are any less commited, we just enjoy the fact that we don't have to justify or explain how we spend our own money, we have trust in one another. He pays mortgage, I pay bills and groceries. It works out to be 50:50, even though he earns triple what I do, but he's responsible for any big purchases and always happy to give me money if I ask. Plus I receive the lump sum of ftb every year, I pay off my credit cards and then give DH what's left.

When my ppl runs out I'll use my annual leave then I'll have no income for about 4 months until I return. When this happens I'll ask for money as I need it. I'll forgo the luxuries as things will be tight, but it's a sacrifice I'm prepared to make.

Mind you, I am eyeing off splurging on the new iphone, I have a 4s and sick of it crapping out.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

Jontu  (15-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I will elaborate a bit and say that our money is joint but we have our own savings. The savings we have is for our luxury items etc.

All rent/bills etc come from joint money.

If the OP's husband does not earn enough to cover bills etc then the discussion re: no income during mat leave should've been done beforehand.

Again as OP has not returned we have no idea how long she has been on leave, how long she has left and whether she plans on returning to work.

Also, I would be careful 'working' for a different business. My work has a clause that i cannot work elsewhere - even on unpaid mat leave.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We don't have your money and my money it's our money so the bills etc all come from the pot of family money

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Thanks

Thank you to everyone who has replied. Your responses have given us a range of ideas to consider and discuss ☺.