+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Financial arrangements while on unpaid maternity leave

If you are or have been on a period of unpaid parental leave (to stay home and look after one or more babies) while your partner works, how have you managed your finances as a couple? E.g. who pays the rent/mortgage, for food/living expenses etc.? How do you divvy these up, if at all?
    My mat. leave payments have ceased now and I'm not earning any income, but do help out my hubby with his business when I can (this is a condition of me not going to my own job i.e. staying at home with the baby).
    I think it's reasonable for him to pay for [almost] everything (e.g. he doesn't want to pay for 'luxury' items like my hair appointments once every 2 months) but he still wants me to contribute a bit of the rent, which will now come out of my savings.
    Just keen to know how others work it out! Thanks ☺

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Our money is joint. No his or hers but ours.

I personally think its a bit unfair that he expects you to pay when you have no income coming in.

3. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

3bubbys  (14-02-2016),AdornedWithCats  (14-02-2016),Gentoo  (14-02-2016),gingermillie  (15-02-2016),Happymum2  (14-02-2016),KitiK  (15-02-2016),SophistoKat  (17-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

not sure what's to divide up. we're married and expecting a baby, our finances are enmeshed.

I'm currently on unpaid mat leave. I worked up to the end of last month and have taken my 18 days AL owing paid out to me (ok so technically I guess I'm on annual leave lol). once bub arrives, I'll get the government's ppl. dh will take off 2 weeks unpaid leave when bub arrives and get the dad/partner pay. this is mainly because he's only just new in his job and has no AL to take. so the government's little hand out is better than what he'd get otherwise!

as far as finances, bills etc. well we haven't done any planning really. I guess things will just tick along as they have been. I'll need to keep an eye on our discretionary spending as we won't have the benefit of my salary to be paying off a massive cc bill each month. we are also currently paying extra every week into our home loan and car loan so if things do get tight or there's a temporary cash flow issue, I'll just stop those extra repayments and we'll have an extra $550 each week in our pockets.

we are very fortunate to have a fairly large buffer of safety so haven't had to plan and save too much. obviously we'll continue to be careful but that's just us normally anyway. I'm looking to go back to work around September anyway so not like we'll be living on one salary for a huge amount of time.
    Last edited by turquoisecoast; 14-02-2016 at 14:30.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

We have no "my money and his money. It's all our money. My financial contribution, if you will, is not paying daycare for the children. I don't have many luxuries as I'm not overly interested. I buy yarn (for crochet) but that is mostly paid with the little bit of profit I make on selling some pieces. But if I want something, he is happy for me to have it. He is very appreciative of the work I do raising our children.
    I don't know I could have such a strict arrangement like yours. It seems more like a business transaction to me, but I know it works well for others. You both have to be happy with the arrangement though. He shouldn't get more say, it's both of your lives.

ETA: I have been a sahm for nearly 5 years, since I was pregnant with our 2nd child.

Thanks
    Reviews
    When I was on full leave and just getting some FTB each fortnight, it was used to buy any additional groceries throughout the week (after a bigger shop each weekend), and any baby items we needed (like if DS went up a size in clothes), and any "luxury" stuff for myself. He paid all the rent and bills.
    Now that I'm getting an income, it's going entirely to childcare and DH still pays for all the rent and bills and most shopping.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Any money that come in is "ours" regardless of who earns it...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    in terms of you contributing to the rent, sorry but wtf? you just had his baby. someone had to take time off to care for bub.

not wanting to sound harsh but once you're living together and have a baby together, there's no longer a concept of mine and yours. it's all ours. your partner is being totally unfair. I can maybe understand cutting back on extra luxuries when you're down to one income but he can't realistically expect you to be covering the rent when you're earning no income?

where's this money supposed to come from? doesn't he view you giving up work to care for your baby as a different form of work?

what kind of man is this anyway? he should be taking care of his family, not stressing you out with financial burdens!

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (14-02-2016),KitiK  (15-02-2016),LaDiDah  (14-02-2016),meandmyboys82  (14-02-2016),SophistoKat  (17-02-2016),Wise Enough  (14-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Our money is all joint so we didn't have anything to divvy up. Both pay went in to a joint account and then got transferred into whichever account it was earmarked for (savings, bills, DD money etc). We've each always had our own accounts that get $45 a week for us to spend on ourselves and each other. So all presents for each other and then things like our clothes, hair appointments, luxuries for ourselves will come out of our own accounts.
    I've been a SAHM for nearly 2.5 years now and just work a couple of hours on a Sunday. As far as hubby is concerned my job is to raise our child. If I was to go back to full time work we'd be paying for childcare which would be almost my salary lol
    Last edited by LaDiDah; 14-02-2016 at 17:39.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, I understand your question and I think you both need to chat about it and set up a budget. I am in a unique situation where I own my own business so will still pay myself as don't qualify for maternity payments post June 30. We split everything including OB appointments, food, mortgage and bills... This will continue once Bub is here... I am sure if I was working less he would be happy to contribute more but we would set up a budget... It's hard having own monies and go go to none... Just really make sure you set up a budget and chat about the extras you need like hair and makeup stuff

babycake is offline Bubhub Award Winner - 2011- Funniest Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I rarely post these days but reading your post made me so mad. You are the mother of his beautiful child. You are not a lodger. How dare he ask you to pay rent while you are off work looking after his child!!!!Ifi I were you I would do up an invoice for half the child care,that you provide for your child and hand it to him. A bit cheeky I know,but perhaps it may get the point across that you have given up work to stay home and look after and love your child.

13. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to babycake For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (15-02-2016),KitiK  (15-02-2016),LaDiDah  (14-02-2016),PomPoms  (14-02-2016),SophistoKat  (17-02-2016),turquoisecoast  (14-02-2016)