+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Op it's wonderful that you're taking the time to think about your household and try to grow and change things if need be.
    I feel my parents were pretty strict (some things more than others) but particularly with food... I know my mum was doing what she thought was best but it did give me no self control and once I was on my own I went pretty off track for that reason I'm a big believe of everything in moderation.
    As for 'fun things' I don't think it has to be an expensive outing or anything like that, it's family time and quality time that's important, I remember as a kid I would beg my parents to take me on picnics, even in the garden I didn't care as long as it was a packed lunch and my parents! they took me on 2 picnics my whole life... So it's wonderful that you take your kids on outdoor outings, they will cherish those memories.
    Maybe ask them what they would like to do and take note

Thanks
    Reviews
    Growing up my parents were strict and boring. I never had friends over and definitely no sleep overs at all. I was rarely allowed to go to other kids birthdays. Wasn't really allowed in the backyard on my own. Hardly any telly. They didn't like mess so not a whole lot of toys. They had no time to play board games or dolls or anything with me.
    I was a "to be seen and not heard" child. I would get in trouble for coughing... And I was an only child so horribly lonely. I was allowed sugar though. In fact my dad thoroughly enjoyed showing me how to make a paste out of brown sugar and butter, to put on my sandwiches.

We are parenting a lot different to how I was. My kids friends live two doors up and they get to play either here or there every few afternoons. My kids love being outside. They are always climbing trees or racing their bikes or playing with the animals (ducks and goats). I try to give them a fair bit of freedom and independence but at the same time, will roll on the floor and wrestle with them. We don't live near any cinemas or anything, so their "exciting days" like that are few and far between. I like to think I have a fun house but I also have no problem disciplining or pulling them into line when needed. I just want them to have an enjoyable childhood that also enables them to grow into decent adults. I like to think I am a decent adult, but I don't really have any fond memories of my childhood. I actually feel heartbroken a little when my husband tells me all the neat stuff he did as a child.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ahalfdozen For This Useful Post:

PomPoms  (14-02-2016),VicPark  (14-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My parents were pretty strict about somethings but relaxed about others. I had limited tv but did get to watch a reasonable amount (looking back it was reasonable- at the time I thought I was hard done by). We had 90% healthy food. And we played a lot of board games and outdoor games. I had lots of sleepovers though. I slept over at other people's places, and had people sleep over at mine. We went to theme parks with friends, and bowling, and mini golf, and to the movies, and lots of going to the beach.

And I loved it. I loved that my afternoons were spent riding my bike up and down the street. Or playing with the neighbourhood kids in the front yard. Or having family board game nights. I often think about how I had just the best childhood.

Sure, at the time it wasn't always perfect. There's always things you wished your parents would ease up on when you're a teenager. I sometimes wished they'd let me watch endless tv. But now when I look back I totally understand why they made the choices they did and I'm thankful they didn't let me just sit on the couch and watch tv sitcoms and cartoons back to back.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My house growing up was strict. We had no tv at all. I hated having friends over as I always felt like there was nothing to do.

Now we eat healthy most of the time, but when the kids have friends over it usually changes. I let them play what they want to play, which includes x-box, playstation, Netflix, board games, swim (if I know the child is a good swimmer), the park down the road, craft and sometimes we bake.

I want my DDs comfortable with asking their friends over, I don't want them to avoid asking as they think home is boring.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sarahd80 View Post
    OP my fondest memories from childhood are climbing trees, riding my bike, playing cards with my grandparents etc. I don't think TV is the only option for fun 😊
    Completely agree! When I was a kid, I was never limited with the amount of tv I was allowed to watch, but I watched hardly any because I was too busy running around on my farm/ in the backyard having fun! Screens are pretty boring when there are things to explore and adventures to be had outside I think the basics of being a kid & just "playing' are so lost these days... we always want to 'schedule' stuff for them to do. I saw a quote recently, something like 'kids never remember their best days of watching TV'.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Don't feel bad. We have a "boring" house too.. lol