+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default 7.5 month old not interested in solids

Hi all my DD is 7.5 months old (6.5 corrected) and not interested in solids. We have been eating with her at the table since about 5 months old so she can watch us eat. She makes chewing and sucking actions.
    I've been trying small amounts of solids since about 5 months old. Initially she would just make herself gag til she vomited so I stopped for a while. I have been earnestly trying solids 1-3 times every day for 6 weeks and have seen basically no progress in interest. On a good day she will eat 2 tablespoons in volume.
    I've tried purées and finger foods. Fruit (pureed Apple, pear, mango, blueberry, whole banana, watermelon, rockmelon) veggies (pureed/mashed sweet potato, potato, avocado, Sweetcorn, pumpkin, carrot, zucchini, broccoli, whole steamed broccoli, pumpkin/carrot sticks), porridge/rice cereal, toast, sandwiches, yoghurt, custard, grated cheese. I've also tried a couple of packet/jar commercial foods.
    She really doesn't like being spoon fed and clamps her mouth shut and turns her head away 90% of the time. The only thing that she will reliably open her mouth for is custard. With finger foods she will often pick them up, sometimes put in her mouth, but doesn't actually eat anything. She occasionally will still gag til she vomits.
    She's growing fine, exclusively breastfed. I am getting a little worried about her lack of solids intake. I try not to compare but it's hard watching other babies devouring huge amounts and I can't even get her to have 1 spoonful.
    Any advice? Any tricks? Or just wait it out and hope for the best? When should I worry?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    My first didn't take to solids until she was 9 months. I fretted stressed and worried and was convinced it was because I made food she hated. So all my friends made food for her to try. She wouldn't eat that either.

Suddenly around 9 months she just clicked and started eating. She never ate a purée only finger food from them. Hated people putting a spoon near her mouth.

So from my experience it can be normal. My second started solids at a bit over 4 months when she started eating her sisters porridge one day.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (14-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd wait it out and just keep offering. With my first she'd sort of just play and it wasnt until she started walking her appetite got noticrably noticeably bigger. We went the finger food route because it stressed me less, she could feed herself as she wanted. We offered high good fat foods like avocado etc.

My DD is now 4 and from a lot of your posts she was quite similar to what your DD is. She now eats a lot and sleeps through the night. You're doing an excellent job

5. The Following User Says Thank You to smallpotatoes For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews

Default 7.5 month old not interested in solids

DS2 didn't start eating any substantial quantity of food until almost 12 months. He totally ignored food until 7-8 months. Then slowly began eating more until he was having a reasonable amount around his first birthday.

I would not worry for now. Keep offering a variety of foods, let her watch you eat and involve her as much as you can. It will happen.

I do understand your pain though I used to stress a lot. Especially when everyone kept telling me the reason he didn't sleep was because he wasn't eating enough!

Edit - eating and sleep quality still have absolutely no relationship in DS2 at 3.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to binnielici For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    My Dd wasn't interested in food until she was almost one and we were going through 3 tins of formula a week. I spent hours making mash, puree and preparing finger foods. Occasionally I could get her to eat straight from a squeezy pouch. She is now the most amazing little eater at almost 22months. Remember that 'food before one is just for fun' and that milk should be the main source of nutrition. You're doing great.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Ngaiz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    As PP's said - sounds completely normal. My DS was exactly the same - he just wasn't interested in food, would not have a bar of spoon feeding and barely ate a thing until after 1 yr. He still is not food orientated at 4yrs - he can take it or leave it but he's happy, healthy and growing so I think he's just a small eater.

DD (8 months) is a Hoover - she eats more than me! I've introduced food exactly as I did with DS - different child, totally different experience.

I'm not sure you can get a baby to take solids if they are not interested - as hard/frustrating as that is. I shed many a tear over DS! It's twice as frustrating when you have professionals telling you to increase the food to help with sleep.

Best wishes!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to wobbleyhorse For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone that's all so reassuring.
    Yes it's hard when everyone says to get her eating to help with sleep! But similarly a lot of people say solids didn't help with sleep anyway.
    I'll keep offering different things 3 times a day - at each 'meal' I try a purée/mash and 1-2 finger foods. I hate the wastage. We recently developed a compost bin and got chickens so at least it's not going in the bin.
    This little girl certainly treads her own path. She is 'fussy' in the sense she knows what she does and doesn't want and always lets us know. We have had to be led by her in pretty much everything so far as she will not be forced into anything. I'm not surprised food is no different! I'll try not to stress as I would really hate food to become a negative experience for her.

Thanks
    Reviews
    At 7/8 months old my Dd was waking 12 times a night to feed (mostly for comfort I assumed until she started losing weight). I was so exhausted from trying to 'sleep train' that after 2 months I just gave in to feeding and bed sharing. Not long after we moved to formula and that didnt change a thing. Even now that she eats like a horse she still wakes up once or twice a night so food doesn't always solve sleep issues like everyone says.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ngaiz For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (14-02-2016),gingermillie  (14-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    My eldest still is still fussy with food and doesn't sleep much.

I do think there is a link between food and sleep. If I'm hungry I wake up. I imagine kids are the same. If you start solids too early it can upset their tummies and wake them up.

Honestly it's really hard to get the balance right with some kids. I feel like I turned myself inside out with DD1 and nothing I did really made a difference. She did what she did and we just had to go along for the ride.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Keep offering. Finger food is good, likely most will end up on the floor but she'll get used to it.
    It's hard not to stress over everything so keep your chin up. 😊