+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    That's what I don't understand. Worship of what only belongs to God? Sorry I'm not being argumentative, I'm Catholic and believe in God and heaven but that's where my beliefs / knowledge of things end.

The part about honour being bestowed upon humans, etc sounds like another language almost I actually don't understand what it means.
    I am terrible explaining but pretty much the belief is that noone takes the place of God. So praying to Saints or having a priest forgive you on behalf of God is not the belief.

So basically you worship God directly and there is no assigned 'person' inbetween you and God. Otherwise you are worshipping another person/idol (which is against what is written in the 10 Commandments).
    Does that help?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (14-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Not really. It's always been pizza & a dvd for us, nothing special.
    I usually get DH a card but this year I got him a new puzzle (didn't wrap it or anything). He generally buys me flowers, but hasn't today & I don't mind either way.
    We have lots of other significant dates that actually mean something to us so Valentine's Day isn't a big deal here.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamasupial View Post
    I gave a card and we posted this on Facebook..Attachment 78414

That is as Valentinesie as we have ever gotten.
    This is the CUTEST!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    That's what I don't understand. Worship of what only belongs to God? Sorry I'm not being argumentative, I'm Catholic and believe in God and heaven but that's where my beliefs / knowledge of things end.

The part about honour being bestowed upon humans, etc sounds like another language almost I actually don't understand what it means.
    As a catholic you would know they use Saints, Mary and the cross in their worship and often pray to these ones or through them which is not what the bible says. So just like that is a form of worship, so too a lot of the celebrations like Easter and Xmas originate in Saint worship or worship of pagan Gods so by celebrating I feel its honouring them, continuing on the original meaning & tradition of these days and therefore a form of worship to them rather than God, which as a christian I feel is wrong. I don't know how else to explain it.

I feel like I'm going around in circles, sorry I didn't expect my post to be quoted as it was as was just answering the thread....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Just to be clear I have zero interest in disagreeing with you.

I know Christians who draw a distinction between honouring and worshipping. Honouring is done by remembering or acknowledging eg by taking saints names for confirmation or by praying to certain saints for different things. Worshipping is done through mass.

They would see your views as a more literal interpretation.

Neither matter to me. I was curious so I asked. My response was without a hint of snark. I am not able to give you my interpretation as I haven't looked at the bible for about 35 years.
    I didn't take ur post in that way. I'm not here to disagree or argue either, we all have our different beliefs, hence why some celebrate these days and others don't - all for various reasons!! Was just interested in what u meant is all 😊

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    @SoThisIsLove you don't need to explain anything. Sorry I didn't mean to derail.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Same sorry back on topic!!

I'm certainly not opposed to roses or chocolate. On any day! 😜

Thanks
    Reviews
    We celebrate it, only because we are still young and childless so we are enjoying it while we can.
    In saying that, we don't do anything extravagant, we will go out for lunch or go and see a movie, which in all honesty we do whenever we want anyway. Plus I always get roses. This year is our first valentines as an engaged couple 😁

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SoThisIsLove View Post
    Same sorry back on topic!!

I'm certainly not opposed to roses or chocolate. On any day! 😜
    Or chocolate roses lol.

I want chocolate now. None in the house. Boo! Wonder if I have ingredients to make cake at least....

11. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

SoThisIsLove  (14-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Janesmum123 View Post
    Many Christians do not pray or worship Saints as this is seen as against Gods word. The bible states "do not worship any other God but me". Catholics will pray to Saints to ask for help but do not worship Saints. Some Christians do not recognise Saints at all and any worship or prayer is seen as worshiping a fake God.
    So Valentines Day is from St Valentine which is not recognised in some Christians beliefs. Celebrating it would be worshiping a fake God.
    Right, thank you. It makes sense now.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast