+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    The bank has ours. We keep all our important documents in a filing cabinet. When we were evacuated during Yasi we put all the important stuff in a plastic tub and took it with us.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to DJ Nette For This Useful Post:

harvs  (13-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Nette View Post
    The bank has ours. We keep all our important documents in a filing cabinet. When we were evacuated during Yasi we put all the important stuff in a plastic tub and took it with us.
    good idea!

yeah all our important papers are in files on a shelf in our study/office.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The bank still has our title deeds. Even though we've paid off the loan, we haven't requested discharge of the mortgage and return of the deeds, because we figured the bank was the safest place for them!

All our other important docs at home are kept in a fire-proof, lockable, portable case we bought at Bunnings. I think it was about $100? In the event of an evacuation, we can grab it and go. And if the house burns down with the box still inside, hopefully the docs will still be okay.
    Last edited by Gentoo; 13-02-2016 at 23:55.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Our bank still has ours, maybe one day we'll pay it off and get our mitts on it!

In terms of other documents we have what we call a go box (we live in an apartment and got evacuated once, thankfully a false alarm). Everything that we would need is in this box that is easily accessible and if ever needed it's quick to grab.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Deed records in qld are electronic, so no need to have a copy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow, I'm in Qld too. I didn't realise actual title deeds were still a thing in Australia!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    the bank retains them until the mortgage is paid off don't they?
    We don't have a mortgage through a bank, my in-laws lent us the money and we are paying them back (pretty much a mortgage through the in-laws), hence why our solicitor has it.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Happymum2 For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast  (14-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Happymum2 View Post
    We don't have a mortgage through a bank, my in-laws lent us the money and we are paying them back (pretty much a mortgage through the in-laws), hence why our solicitor has it.
    do you mind if I ask what rate of interest they charge? or is it interest free?

Thanks
    Reviews
    [QUOTE=turquoisecoast;8406540]do you mind if I ask what rate of interest they charge? or is it interest free?[/

Not interest free but we are only paying them interest on the loan which is about $1500/month, I think it's about 4%. It just feels like they bought the house (even though it's in our name) and we are paying them rent. If they were to pass away we would be mortgage free.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    [QUOTE=Happymum2;8406558]
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    do you mind if I ask what rate of interest they charge? or is it interest free?[/

Not interest free but we are only paying them interest on the loan which is about $1500/month, I think it's about 4%. It just feels like they bought the house (even though it's in our name) and we are paying them rent. If they were to pass away we would be mortgage free.
    oh so there's no loan agreement in place stipulating you'd have to relay their estate should they both pass?

that's really generous of them to help you out like that, you have great in laws!