+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Working in HR, I've seen senior managers shed tears. No one is immune.

A lady at work was seeing a man at work. He broke up with her. She cried openly at her desk, in the kitchen, in her colleagues office, everywhere, to everyone, anyone that would listen for about 1 week. A few complaints were made. Her work suffered terribly.

That was an unpleasant conversation. Referring her to employee assistance program etc... It ended in tears. It didn't help that her ex then hooked up with her much older counterpart (facepalm!) shortly afterwards!

People!

This was quite extreme behaviour on her part, we tried to ensure she got the right help, I felt awful for her.

In saying that I do think crying at work is perfectly fine, we are only human after all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    In my workplace everyone cries at some point. It's the nature of what I do. I've never cried over personal stuff at work, though. But at my job if you were never affected by the things you see then you wouldn't be human.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Crying at work...

I used to work in construction and it was full of bullying and horrible behaviour. I mean horrendous bullying that was almost unbelievable. I cried once. I couldn't even hide it, I sobbed openly. Moving on to a much softer job where people were kind and respectable of each other and I had people crying in my office every week over petty stuff! I tried to be sympathetic but I couldn't help compare it to my old job and thought that they had no idea how easy they had it.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Crying at work...

It's completely acceptable at my work place as long as you take yourself to a quiet space (empty meeting room, supplies cupboard, bathroom, empty corner etc).

We work in customer service (inbound call centre) and we deal with a lot of people experiencing hardship. This is often when I cry (example single mother who's had a stroke and about to lose her house).
    A few people cry when you just have that call that pushes you over the edge on a stressful day. Just take a breather, let it out and come back refreshed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Another vet here, and I do tear up at euthanasias. I think if I got to the point of not caring I'd be worried! I can think of a few cases that have caused me to sob at work - one little poodle whose heart was failing but still the sweetest girl ever- I actually cried more than her owner. We are human, not robots! In an emotional environment sometimes you need to let it go.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Waggers70 For This Useful Post:

HillDweller  (13-02-2016),MrsA2B  (13-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I have cried at work on a small number of occasions, though it is something I try to avoid.

I've never cried when someone has been mean to me - I've fortunately been able to save the tears for the car trip home (I wouldn't want to give them the satisfaction of seeing my reaction).

I cried when my family dog died, I cried when I got a call about high risk NT results. Couldn't help it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well I am glad that I am not the only one! When I say I've cried at every job, it's not because I 'put on the waterworks' or anything like that. It's when something has happened and I'm genuinely upset.

For eg, I've been temping full time in an office, from day one I have done my absolute best at this job, I've been polite, I've been helpful, I've been professional, I've gone above and beyond, I've been proactive and looked for extra work when I've been a bit quiet, I've done it all.

I answer majority of the phone calls even though I have no training whatsoever to answer the questions - i was asked to help with calls to give the other workers a break as everyone was so busy. I have managed to help around 40-60% of the callers without having to transfer them to the other workers.

Anyway, from day one, every time I need to ask one of the other staff members a question about their cases to help someone on the phone, I'm literally snapped at. I get snappy irritated tones, half arsed answers, grumpy looks, eye rolls, the works. To the point where before I ask a person a question (to help THEM) I say 'I'm so sorry to bother you...' Or 'I'm so sorry to interupt...'

Anyway yesterday I got snapped at again and I just lost it. I didn't cry in front of anyone, I held it in as best I could, and it just really upset me and ****ed me off.

To make matters worse, I've been giving my all in this role and the lady who's managing me asked me how I was doing, so I said 'yeah I think I'm going well, I have picked up a lot and learnt a lot and I feel comfortable doing the job (mostly)). And then I asked her what *she* thought... Well her answer was 'I have no idea, I'm managing about 20 people so really don't have a clue'

That was before I got snapped at yesterday and I just got upset because I felt like, what was the point in me trying so hard for it to go unnoticed and unappreciated?

It's not that I want recognition as such, it's more that I'd like to think someone would notice my effort and possibly offer me more work there in the future.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    We had a manager die suddenly and quite young last year, so I think I've seen almost everyone in my workplace cry.
    Apart from that incident, I cried once when my FIL was diagnosed with cancer and a colleague said something that just tipped me over the edge.
    We had another manager who was an awful bully and would burst into tears whenever anyone stood up to her.
    It's not really the done thing at my work, but I wonder whether that has something to do with the fact that we get personal leave instead of sick leave, so if you are having an awful time (break up etc) you can take a day or two off and that's perfectly fine.

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I occasionally cry at work but it is usually in response to something that one of our clients share with us. We often talk to people who are recently bereaved or soon to be bereaved. It is the elderly men that have just lost their wives and say things like "she was my flower" that get to me the most.

And then there was the other time that a colleague said that I wasn't really a fully fledged mum because I only have one child but her daughter in law is a proper mum. I cried. But mostly in the toilet while punching the wall.
    Last edited by SpecialPatrolGroup; 13-02-2016 at 13:06.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I cried once in front of a collegue. Someone who was quite a bully to lots of people suddenly started bullying me. It was just so nasty and unexpected that i just lost it in front of another worker. Very unlike me. I would say it's fairly normal for people to cry occasionally. Work and the people you work with can be very stressful!