+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Crying at work...

So what do you think about it?

I'm asking because I've recently gone back to work to a full time temp role, and today I had to really try hard to stop myself from crying. I was having an awful day and I got zero sleep last night due to my little one waking up at midnight and not wanting to go back to sleep.

Anyway, I have realised that I have cried in pretty much every job I've ever done, and I know it's lame and I'm way too sensitive and can't stick up for myself, and I just wanted to see if others have cried or what they think of people who do cry? (At work)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I don't work outside of home anymore, but if someone upset me/made me angry, I used to go sit on the toilet, or go for a walk until I composed myself. Then I could go and talk to them about it without fear of going off at them!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I've cried twice at work in almost 20 years of working. Once when a performance review went really pear shaped and I lost it. The second time when I got my period after yet another failed IVF cycle.

I am not a fan of crying at work. Sorry but in my area it's really unacceptable. If a lawyer is having a rough day we just walk into the toilet, slam the wall, get it together and walk back out.

Years ago I was told "if you turn up, have your game face on and know your brand". Or something like that.

So no I'm not very sympathetic to this.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

FearlessLeader  (13-02-2016),MsViking  (13-02-2016),VicPark  (12-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Guilty! I was a paediatric nurse and then I went into cancer nursing. I've cried a lot. I always take myself away from my patients because I'm a professional but it still doesn't stop me from feeling pain.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yeah it's happened but not something I make a habit of.

I think we're human and its a human reaction to things but if it's s constant thing then that's draining on others which isn't fair either.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Totally understandable and acceptable in my option, and in my job (youth work). We're not robots. We're real people with real feelings and sometimes it's not possible to keep it contained.

I've always responded with compassion when this has happened to a colleague after a rough time, whether job related or not.

However if it happened regularly it might raise a few questions about how the person was coping and if further support was needed.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bond Girl For This Useful Post:

Gagingi  (12-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I know crying looks really unprofessional in my field too but im a bit of a cryer.

I won't do it in front of anyone (or anyone it matters in front of) but yes, I've lost it a few times.

usually I'll go off to the toilet and cry privately then return composed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Once when my manager organised to have me fired because she didnt like that i wasnt afraid of her.
    My friend gave me a hug and i lost it.
    A few months later they realised the truth about this person and fired her.

But no im not a huge fan of crying in the workplace. But i can understand how hard it is when you are running on no sleep

I was also working in construction so you needed to have a thick skin
    Last edited by Purple Poppy; 12-02-2016 at 19:42.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Purple Poppy For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (12-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ive gone into the toilets on occasion and cried.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Just to clarify as a commercial and construction lawyer I wouldn't put myself in the same category as a nurse or youth worker.

I had a few horrible cases when I was a family lawyer. When they stopped getting me angry I knew it was time to leave.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (13-02-2016),Carpe diem 2013  (13-02-2016),VicPark  (12-02-2016)