+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default PARC/APARC residential stays - possible triggers

Since my much needed inpatient stay is being delayed due to lack of beds , the CAT team have done a referral to go to APARC (a step-up/step-down facility) since I'm not coping or overly safe at home on my own & they think no longer able to be treated in the community. It is unlikely I will be able to go there before an inpatient stay due to their rules on self harm but I can't go on anymore & don't want to have to wait in ED for an available bed anywhere in the state.

Has anyone had a stay at these centres? What was involved in the assessment - they are trying to organise an urgent assessment for Monday? Was it useful

All I have been told is that I will have to come up with some goals (apparently to be dead doesn't count) & ways that I will manage the self-harm tendencies & I'm feeling completely incapable of coming up with anything.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    How about a goal relating to your son? I have found children are often strong motivators for people with depression /anxiety etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pointless1 View Post
    Since my much needed inpatient stay is being delayed due to lack of beds , the CAT team have done a referral to go to APARC (a step-up/step-down facility) since I'm not coping or overly safe at home on my own & they think no longer able to be treated in the community. It is unlikely I will be able to go there before an inpatient stay due to their rules on self harm but I can't go on anymore & don't want to have to wait in ED for an available bed anywhere in the state.

Has anyone had a stay at these centres? What was involved in the assessment - they are trying to organise an urgent assessment for Monday? Was it useful

All I have been told is that I will have to come up with some goals (apparently to be dead doesn't count) & ways that I will manage the self-harm tendencies & I'm feeling completely incapable of coming up with anything.
    I have no idea about the centres but wow - that is hard with coming up with goals with your current illness.

Is there something that your son is doing that you can attend? Sport? Music? School play? Maybe a goal can be that you will be well enough to attend it.

Also, maybe another one will be having a coffee/lunch/brunch 'date' with your sons friends mums? Or an old friend/family?

Maybe something small like 'every day I write something I like about myself or my life' or even I will do something I enjoy every day (not sure if you had/have a hobby?).

I know that thoughts and actions with self harm cannot be turned off like a switch. And I do not have experience with it but have any things helped in the past?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Unfortunately setting goals around DS atm isn't really an option as my overwhelming thoughts over him is it is better for him to never come home. Really before that mindset will change, something needs to happen where I can find a way to provide for him, although the CAT team did mention today that the possibility of trying ECT is something that has been floated to help change that mindset if we can't make a breakthrough soon.

Most of the goals will have to do with basic functioning since that is not happening at all right now - just need to find a care factor.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Just sending you some love. You really are an inspiration. Despite being so unwell you are able to clearly articulate how you are feeling and its terribly sad! I wish you all the best in getting well again.

Can your goals be something like "I will shower everyday" or "I will get out of bed before ....". I dunno, just trying to come up with some basic, and hopefully achievable, goals.

xxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It's a big ask to come up with goals when you just can't make yourself care about anything.

My Dad has bipolar, and has been scheduled twice. I can ask him about his goal setting, as I know it was part of his treatment plan. He was on 24 hour watch for weeks initially. He also had ECT as a possibility - but he never consented, and because he'd started to improve, they couldn't do anything about it.

In terms of managing self harm/suicidal ideation - my dad eventually got a tattoo which serves as a reminder to help him know when to seek help. He also tries to do emotional check ins a few times a day to avoid "going so close to the river" and has strategies to pull himself back if he feels things spiralling. He makes sure to check in with a different person each day, esp on bad days - but he had to promise himself he'd be honest with how things are going. It doesn't work when he tries to hide things. Keeping the meds going even when he feels good is crucial. Without them, he slips backwards quickly. Also, he's noticed family will start to ask him if he's ok before he gets to the self harm tendencies - so he uses that as a flag to seek further assistance or to pull out the reserves.

Feel free to PM me if you want more info on his coping mechanisms. I've been thinking of you often, and I hope that you get as much help as you need to get well again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks.

Tiny Dancer - I'm sorry for all it sounds like you have been through with your dad. It is so hard & continually on my mind how hard it is for DS. I have been scheduled & under 24/7 watch myself a few times so know how scary that is. Even more scary when one of the CAT team members who I have known since the first time police were called for a welfare check when my son was a toddler told me today it's probably the worst presentation he has seen me with & he is unsure why the psychs from the ward won't go down the road of a crisis admission despite their requests.

It sounds like a lot of his management/safety plan is similar to mine, though my check ins are meant to be with an outreach worker. Becomes a problem though when it is known that isolating yourself is a known sign that things are deteriorating and instead of following up when they can't contact you for months that they then tell you they are closing their file instead of activating the safety plan (including my psychologist).

Girls Rock - thanks for the idea. As far as I know you have to be up and showered by a certain time for a morning meeting to determine who is doing what jobs around the centre or something like that. All to hard to work out anything.

At least I know now that the CAT team are taking me to the assessment as they don't want me driving at all the moment, which means if I get totally stuck or confused as is often happening they can step in.