+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Postnatal SPD

Hi everyone just wondering if anyone has experience with postnatal SPD and have any advice? I had a pre-existing lower back injury and developed SPD early on in my pregnancy. I'm now 7 months postnatal and the groin/pelvic joint pain has recurred the past couple of months getting gradually worse. Unfortunately today I have really hurt myself very badly (ironically at the doctors to get painkillers for the pain and I had trouble getting Pram out of the heavy doors with bub in one arm and felt like my pelvis was splitting in two). I've got a doctors and physio appointment Monday but right now I can barely walk, move or get up. Am in so much pain 😢 I've got my SRC shorts back on but still a mess.
    Has anyone experienced SPD this long after pregnancy? How did you manage it and did it eventually resolve?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ouch, you poor thing!
    I still have residual SPD pain but it sounds like it's nowhere near as bad as yours.
    I found it improved quite a bit at around 10 months, which was also when I got my period back. DS is nearly 20 months old and I still get days of sharp, nagging pain in my symphysis joint.
    My pregnancy physio said it would take about 6 months for the pregnancy hormones to clear out, and about 3 full menstrual cycles for the regular hormones to get back to normal levels, at which time one would expect to feel an improvement.

I still just wear the belt (like the SRC shorts) and keep an icepack on my pubic bone when it gets bad. Sleeping position makes a difference for me too, cosleeping and breastfeeding meant I spent a lot of the night lying on my side which was not good. With DS mostly sleeping through now, I can sleep on back again which helps me a lot. (Also now that my boobs are floppy enough that I can breastfeed him to the side whilst lying on my back)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to deku For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (15-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I ended up getting an emergency physio appointment on Saturday and just had a follow up. They've said that obviously things were aggravated then the Pram/door incident caused me to sprain the joint. They've assured me that rest, ice, compression shorts will see this injury heal but obviously I need further attention to strengthen my lower back/pelvic muscles as its a mess at the moment. They did suggest the SPD is hormone linked and should get much better after I finish breastfeeding. I'm also sure a decent sleep and rest would help my recovery but doesn't look like that'll happen anytime soon!