+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Hidden/invisible disabilities

Quote Originally Posted by Jontu View Post
    Out of curiosity though. Have u used the disabled toilets instead of non disabled? I would think that's worse bc there's usually only 1.
    Not sure it's worse - I really have a bug about people who park in disabled spots - however I am biased.

I used disabled toilets often. With 2 young kids and a huge pram it's much easier to use disabled toilets than normal toilets. I will use parents room if there is one though. I rarely see anyone in a wheelchair when out shopping so figure the chances of someone who needs such a large toilet area rocking along when I am in there is very low. Yes I know there are others besides people in wheelchairs who may need a disabled toilet. Worst case scenario someone can knock and wait a few minutes or use the single toilets as a one off.

In my defence most of the disabled toilets also have baby change tables in them so someone somewhere higher up has also come to the same conclusion as myself about cost/benefit/risk of sharing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Not sure it's worse - I really have a bug about people who park in disabled spots - however I am biased.

I used disabled toilets often. With 2 young kids and a huge pram it's much easier to use disabled toilets than normal toilets. I will use parents room if there is one though. I rarely see anyone in a wheelchair when out shopping so figure the chances of someone who needs such a large toilet area rocking along when I am in there is very low. Yes I know there are others besides people in wheelchairs who may need a disabled toilet. Worst case scenario someone can knock and wait a few minutes or use the single toilets as a one off.

In my defence most of the disabled toilets also have baby change tables in them so someone somewhere higher up has also come to the same conclusion as myself about cost/benefit/risk of sharing.
    Fact is, it's illegal to park in a disabled spot without a permit. It's not illegal to use a disabled toilet.

Sorry @Jontu, I feel like you're being caned in this thread and I don't mean to add to it and make you feel like crap. I like you and usually agree with your posts, but this one I can't come to the party with.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Out of curiosity though. Have u used the disabled toilets instead of non disabled? I would think that's worse bc there's usually only 1.
    Nope, I don't, not since I read a plea from someone who has to use the disabled toilets. She said she has a colostomy bag and when she needs to use the toilet she needs to use it immediately. Having to wait creates massive, embarrassing problems for her. Before that, I admit, I did used to at times. But that article really struck a chord with me and opened my eyes to something I'd never considered and now I never use them because you never know when someone might come along who really *needs* that toilet and needs it in a hurry. And those are the people for whom the facility is provided, not me. A regular toilet won't do because they need the extra facilities of the disabled one: more room, sink inside the private cubicle (there are some things you don't want to do in front of everyone at a public basin...).

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (12-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    No I didn't.
    Then he wasn't really just running in to drop off a DVD was he 😉

Thanks
    Reviews
    He was dropping off dvd and we were borrowing another one. It's one of those machine kiosk. Still only takes 5min.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Except I watched it when it was on tv for the first time!!
    So did I...😳

Its only from the 90s, doesn't make us too old 😉

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    He was dropping off dvd and we were borrowing another one. It's one of those machine kiosk. Still only takes 5min.
    I wouldn't have done it, I don't believe in parking in disabled spots without a permit. However since you're being so honest I will be too. I don't think what your hubby did was that bad. Yes I still would have probably given him a dirty look if I saw him however I think he showed some consideration (how many free spots, how long he would be gone) to minimise the risk of putting someone out. If he was only gone 5 minutes then on the very small chance a disabled person came along with a heap of friends also needing a disabled parks then worst case scenario they could do a lap of the carpark to find the spot was vacant when they came around. Or they could have waited a couple of minutes. Worse things could happen I suppose.

- would probably still give your DH the bird

9. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Jontu  (13-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    What I have learned from this thread is that it upsets people who have disabilities or know of those with disabilities. This did not occur to me. The only thing I was thinking about was whether it would be likely the spot would be needed. Anyway I have learnt something new now and understand why people would be upset. And for the record no, I have no intentions to park in a disabled spot without a permit.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jontu For This Useful Post:

amyd  (13-02-2016),ICanDream  (13-02-2016),VicPark  (13-02-2016)