+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week

Default Hidden/invisible disabilities

Sorry This is a bit of a vent...

There is a story in the paper about a person with a hidden/invisible being harassed.
    I know I shouldn't read the comments on their fb page but I did and I am disgusted by some people's ideas of doing the right/moral thing.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/t...f0002dc2703f78

Thanks
    Reviews
    I read this story earlier today. It sickened me as well.
    I don't understand why people think it's ok to throw derogatory comments at someone they do not know & definitely know nothing about (i.e. the actual reason she has disabled permit)
    God some people in this world are a**holes

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Haven't read the comments, but...yep...*sigh*
    You're not alone in your frustration/anger thankfully.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    This kind of stuff just gets under my skin. ..for those do know my story you'll guess why I feel so passionate about it.
    Actually. .and this is a huge generalisation but I would guess that there are far more invisible disabilities. .this you can't immediately tell just by looking at a person.
    Eg... childhood heart disease.... a cause close to my heart. As many of these kids grow up they need these type of parking spaces because they don't have a great lung capacity to walk.
    (Did you know it's childhood heart disease awareness month? ? )
    I considered getting a disabled permit for DD. And I know I'd get judged for it.
    I've decided not to unless her ability to walk becomes really compromised. At the moment she can out walk me. Lol

But yeah. No one should judge. No one knows what another person who has a chronic illness is dealing with. So people should generally just butt out!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

GlitterFarts  (12-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I got the dirties from someone for parking in a disabled bay and helping my dad who was palliative use his walker to get into his wheelchair! Certainly not an invisible disability! Snarky comments that 'being fat isn't a disability' and I turned around and called them out on it. He was dying of liver failure, his kidneys had just packed up, his pancreas and spleen weren't working properly and he had double pneumonia.
    Some people are just terrible people and we can't do anything but pray for them

7. The Following User Says Thank You to CluckyChook For This Useful Post:

GlitterFarts  (12-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    People are the worst

If someone has the sticker/permit, it's none of anyone's business to scrutinise the driver.

My bestie occasionally has trouble with busybodies because she has an invisible disability (several failed spinal surgeries & chronic pain). Doesn't matter that her car has the sticker visible, some people still give her a hard time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I have a friend who continued to use her grandmother's handicap badge after she passed away, she had one in her car for when she drove her around. It's people like that that are ruining it for people who genuinely need to park there. We definitely shouldn't judge but I think some probably end up assuming something like that is occurring.

Never read the comments LLH, I always regret it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a friend actually who when visiting the children's hospital with her daughter (who is very able bodied) uses her MIL's permit to park in disabled spot because she hates trying to find a park (it can be difficult).... this made my blood boil and is probably why people say stuff! Because there are people who misuse them.
    Still it's not our place to say anything to a stranger.
    But I did say something to my friend when she told me! ! Lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Disability or no disability, people's attitudes towards others in general are just appalling now-a-days. No-one has compassion for anyone anymore.

I know after I had my MC my DH took me out to the local show to try and cheer me up. As we were wandering around we came across an exhibition shed, and right inside the door was a display of lifelike baby dolls.

I, of course, started crying, and the looks and tut-tutting I received did nothing to comfort me.

Whether they have health issues, emotional issues or are just having a bad day - is it really that hard to be nice to people?

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blossom74 For This Useful Post:

Ngaiz  (12-02-2016),Tamtam  (12-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My grand pop had a sticker. So I hate it when I see able bodied people using a disabled spot. And I have said something to them on occasion, but I would never say anything to someone with a sticker/sign. I don't know what they may be dealing with to need it.

It's the able bodied who park there because "I'm just returning a DVD" or "I'm just getting milk" that annoy me. So what. Park in a normal spot and walk further! Not take a spot for someone who is probably incapable of walking the extra 20m.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

MissMuppet  (12-02-2016)