+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default IVF Round 1 disappointment

Hi all,

Last month my wife and i did our first IVF cycle. Although we had four eggs fertilised, we only had one embryo that was suitable for transfer. The others stopped developing. Unfortunately the embryo transfer didnt work which was very upsetting.

My wife is very distort with the results of the first IVF outcome and also with no freezable embryos. We are now starting round 2 and she is really worried that it may happen again. I'm hoping that it will improve in round 2.

I was hoping others here might share their stories of the outcome of their first IVF attempt and whether it gets a little less stressful with subsequent rounds?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there! Pretty much the same thing happened with our first ivf cycle. We had about 7 eggs fertilize, 1 great quality embryo transferred and none to freeze. The embryo didn't implant. 2nd cycle we had a stack fertilize, 1 transferred and 1 frozen. The 1 transferred is now our beautiful, healthy 10 month old girl.

After our first failed cycle I was told that it's like baking a cake. Some times it takes a few goes to get the recipe right. Hang in there & good luck. A embryo to transfer from the first cycle means you are almost there!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default IVF Round 1 disappointment

On our first, we had 9 eggs, 5 fertilize, and just one to transfer, none to freeze.

The first cycle is really a bit experimental. It can take time to work out what balance of meds work best for you.

I wouldn't say it gets less stressful sadly. Having fertility issues is such a tense thing and it's easy to put a lot of pressure on ourselves. That said, you really refine the process when you continue on. The meds that work best for you etc and that makes things better and you feel more on top of things.
    Last edited by MrsErinR; 11-02-2016 at 21:26.

Thanks
    Reviews
    First round is normally just a practice round. Just to see how ur body will react. And how u go with the drugs etc. I finally had success on my 5th go. And am now 23wks with twin boys..
    50% of embryos are no good. There is alot that has to go right for the pregnancy to be successful.
    Do u or ur wife have any fertility issues to account for too?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also I shud add. My last round I didnt get my hopes up. I didnt stress about live style or eating healthy etc. I was care free.....and it worked.
    Even ppl who dont use ivf finally concei be when they stop trying so hard. And just relax.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default It only takes one

Hi I am new here and never been in an online forum.. but here goes...
    I 'm 38 y/o and have a very low egg reserve. I've had 1 failed IVF and just did highest dose of stim (menopure)and had to cancel due to only 1 follicle I have not had any or will be likely to freeze any eggs. Feeling like I've got a long journey ahead with not much hope. I have heard that 'it only takes 1' and I am wondering if anyone has had success with only 1 egg each IVF cycle?
    TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BeeBee77 View Post
    I 'm 38 y/o and have a very low egg reserve. I've had 1 failed IVF and just did highest dose of stim (menopure)and had to cancel due to only 1 follicle I have not had any or will be likely to freeze any eggs. Feeling like I've got a long journey ahead with not much hope. I have heard that 'it only takes 1' and I am wondering if anyone has had success with only 1 egg each IVF cycle?
    TIA
    Hi there! I noticed no one replied so thought I'd just wish you luck and yes you are right that 1 is all you need. I'm sure there is someone on the forums here who is in the same position as you. All the best!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeeBee77 View Post
    TIA
    Look I'm going to be brutally honest. My sister was in the same boat, but at 35. She ended up using donor eggs from our other sister and has a beautiful baby boy.

If I were you I would consider donor eggs. If you don't have any family or friends willing to donate try overseas clinics. I know some people go South Africa. A friend went to Hawaii, cost her about $25k I think all up for donor eggs and donor sperm and the cycle.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes... The IVF round where I conceived my beautiful daughter I had 5 eggs retrieved and only had one egg fertilize. Before that I had been getting ok results (eg around 10 eggs retrieved, 6 to 8 fertilized). But - that was cycle number 7 for us!

Don't be disheartened - the first cycle is a bit of an experiment to see how your body reacts. No one body is the same so it's an incredibly personal journey and no one can really compare their results to yours. There are lots of different stim drugs and the one they gave you first just might not be the right fit for your body. I can't even count how many different drugs they tried me on before we had a winner!

IVF is def a marathon and not a sprint. Keep going, be brave and try again if you can.

And as WE says above don't rule out donor eggs if that's where you end up.

Big hugs - IVF is a really hard thing and you are amazing for doing it. The IVF groups on here are such wonderful support. Hang in there xxx

Thanks
    Reviews

Default 2nd cycle

Hi everyone thought I'd see if i can get some hope by joining. .. I'm 35 my amh is 0.9 and i had a failed cycle on gonal f 450iu - looked like 3 follicles on scan but body decided to do own lh surge! This cycle is long down regulating first on pill for 21 days and androgen cream then lucerin 10iu and just started menopur 450iu! Have no idea what to expect and am feeling rather emotionally exhaused ... has anyone here been through similar protocol with decent results?