+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Introduce a dummy at 4 months?

Has anyone had any experience or success introducing a dummy around 3- 4 months?
    As you may or may not be aware, dd2 is has not slept since for 4-5 weeks now and it's getting worse- she woke 8-9 times the past 3 nights DEMANDING to nurse, whining and sucking on her hands. She cracks it completely if I try to rock her or resettle by other means.
    She's too young to sleep train and I'm not coping.
    I tried a dummy as a newborn and she didn't take it. I'm wondering if I should try again.

I know it's a sleep aid and is have to take it away later but I NEED something to get me through the next couple of months before I plan to teach her to self settle. It would be easier to roll over (her bed is next to mine) and pop in a dummy than sit up every hour and get my boobs out! And car rides are awful she hates the car, a dummy would help.

And no, co sleeping is NOT an option.

But I'm wondering if it's too late? Any tips, tricks or advice?
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 11-02-2016 at 15:07.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey you we seem to have similar issues 😳 my 7 month DD always refused a dummy until about 3 weeks ago. I stopped trying at about 2-3 months old. And I thought probably for the best one less thing to worry about. Out of desperation I gave it to her just to try as she seemed intent on sucking but I knew she wasn't hungry and she loved it.
    I've been trying to limit use to only when absolutely necessary so she doesn't have it for all sleeps/resettles only about half the time. Like you I don't want it to become a big habit just a fallback when desperate. She actually seems able to pull it out drop it in the cot find it and put it back in which helps.
    No tips on how to get them to take it though but DD only liked the avent 0-6 month I might need to try the next size up soon but she's always had a little mouth and trouble sucking so I stuck with this size for now.
    Good luck with it. I guess some ppl will tell you not to do it but if it helps you through a tough stage and it works then yeah I can totally understand giving it a go! I asked at sleep school today and they said don't let them have it when awake at all and try not to use for all sleeps. Good luck 💤💤💤

3. The Following User Says Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (11-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    i gave my DD2 a dummy at 3 months because she was going through a constant feeding stage and I just couldnt cope 1) with her on me hourly in the middle of summer for up to an hour, and 2) my nipples were shredded.

The dummy was a godsend, and even better, when she started teething at 6 months she refused the dummy completely, so it was gone by 6 m/o (which was a good thing because my DD1 had hers until she was nearly 3, and now at 7.5 y/o we are seeing a speech pathologist to try and sort out her 's', 'sh', 'ch' 'g' sounds which I am convinced are pronounced incorrectly because we let her have the dummy too long).

5. The Following User Says Thank You to GirlsRock For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (11-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bump!

Thanks
    Reviews
    All my 4 girls never took a dummy at birth but I kind of persisted with it. It took me 3 months with DD4. I would have not bothered but she had bad reflux and constant throat infections so the sucking helped.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BabyG4 For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (12-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't think it's too late at all, it might help. DS never wanted a dummy (I tried!) till he was 16 months old! No kidding! When he started to wean off breastfeeding he just naturally gravitated towards a blankly and eventually found some dummies I kept in his room from hospital (those gumdrop ones from his stint in nicu) anyway that's become his soothing go to thing, eventually he'll give it up in time like DD did.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ciaomamma For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Do whatever you need to do!
    It may not work, but it's worth trying.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Bottom line do what you have to do. Just be careful that the dummy isn't being used to mask an underlying problem that will come back to bite you (hunger, medical issue, over tired etc).

Hang on there.

Ps my eldest never had a dummy since about 6 weeks (when I got jack of putting it back in his mouth all the time). He is now 4 and found some old spares in a closet the other week and thinks they are the greatest toy ever!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Introduce a dummy at 4 months?

I can't remember when I finally got DS to take one, not as late as 4 months but maybe 2 or 3? The only one he finally took was the Avent Soothie but, it didn't stop him wanting to nurse overnight but did perhaps help him fall asleep faster and stay asleep a little longer. But if he woke he wouldn't accept it, only wanted a feed. He still has it and I don't feel it's caused long term issues, just warning you that it didn't stop him wanting to nurse☺️

ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1455191198.617145.jpg
    Attached Images
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 11-02-2016 at 23:17.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dd also refused a dummy early on. She must have been 6mths at least when she finally showed interest and took to one. We took it away just after her 3rd birthday. I didn't have sleep issues with her, it was just that she was a comfort sucker

18. The Following User Says Thank You to michellek For This Useful Post: