+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deku View Post
    How do your children go with the OOSH care? It makes a long day for them!
    Even in high school I often needed a nap as soon as I got home from school, I don't think I'd have coped with an 8-10 day at that age :-/
    (At least at daycare they get a nap in the middle!)

I know I have a few more years until I actually have to worry about this, but it's sounding pretty stressful already! I was pretty lucky as a child, my mum had flexible hours so could pick me up from school, and I was able to go with her to work in the holidays (where I had an excellent time!)
    DS is almost 6 and in after school care everyday. So 9 hours a day outside of home. We have no choice we have to work. Neither of our jobs are flexible. On holidays sometimes my mum comes to stay, vacation care and annual leave.

It sucks and belive me the guilt is there big time. I question our lifestyle on a weekly basis.

Thanks
    Reviews
    my toddler and 7 and 8 year old start childcare and oshc at 6.30 to 7am. i grab some groceries on the way to work. I then have them all at home by 5.10pm. It is homework while i prep dinner and then we eat, have a quick shower and they are in bed by 7pm.

vacation care, i book them in for the whole holidays. over new years when vac care isn't open, they go on a holiday 3 hours away to their grandparents for a week.

Thanks
    Reviews
    OSHC and a combo of Vacation Care and us taking Annual Leave. It is the only choice we had for years! Recently DH has changed to a 4 day on 4 day off rolling shift which made it much easier in School Holidays and I was working School hours only (Literally just started maternity leave....hence the "was"). We had to do something as we had 3 kids in School and 1 in Daycare and the cost was sky rocketing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deku View Post
    How do your children go with the OOSH care? It makes a long day for them!
    Even in high school I often needed a nap as soon as I got home from school, I don't think I'd have coped with an 8-10 day at that age :-/
    (At least at daycare they get a nap in the middle!)

I know I have a few more years until I actually have to worry about this, but it's sounding pretty stressful already! I was pretty lucky as a child, my mum had flexible hours so could pick me up from school, and I was able to go with her to work in the holidays (where I had an excellent time!)
    My son has just started school this year and is in after school care 4 days a week and wants to go 5 days per week! He stopped naps around 2yrs old. I think he will be tired by the end of term but he was doing 4 long days at daycare/Kindy last year anyway so he's used to it. Apart from a 20min swimming lesson once a week I'm not putting him in any after school activities as it is too much for him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LaDiDah View Post
    Hubby and I are both teachers so the holidays won't be an issue (
    Oh my gosh both of my parent's were teachers so I had every holiday with mum AND dad. Ridiculously lucky, I don't know many people who had that.

DH is self employed so drops off DD, I finish at 2.30 each day to pick her up. My two sisters are teachers also so they help alot in the holidays as does MIL and DH's side of the family. We take holidays if I have the leave, otherwise DH takes time out from work. I do get the mummy guilts, but thankfully it's working pretty well at the moment.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by LaDiDah View Post
    Hubby and I are both teachers so the holidays won't be an issue but we'll be using the before and after school care if I can't get a job at the school my little girl ends up going to. The plan is to pull her out of her school and re-enrol at wherever I get a job if possible and then she will be going to hubby's secondary. Unfortunately the school I would really love to send her to doesn't offer the OOSHC which we would need if I was elsewhere :-(
    Check with the school. Ours didn't have OOSH, but they had a woman who cared for the kids after school at her house which was nearby. Sounds so dodgy I know, but it wasn't at all. We only got OOSH because she finished her degree and moved on, but just because there is no OOSH, doesn't mean there isn't something.

School and work is a hard juggle. We're fortunate that I am a shift worker so often work weekends, which means weekdays off...and DH has the ability to work from home. We tend to juggle school holidays between us and grandparents, and mange after school between grandparents, DH, and OOSH on the days I'm working. DH rarely has to start to work before 9am, so he does the drop off if I'm on a morning shift.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Most people I know seem to use a combo of everything! It's exhausting doing all that juggling.

My usual plan is 2 days a week with me (I take one day off a week to achieve this), one day a week with DH (he saves his holidays to do this, we haven't been on a real holiday for years), one day a week with my MIL and one day a week I try to set up a reciprocal play date with one of her friend's mums. I'm lucky that my neighbour is in the same situation as me so we often kid swap. Plus I have made friends with 2 or 3 school mums I trust to have my daughter if I need them. The only downside is that I then have their kids on my days off so it makes for a tiring week.

If I didn't have my MIL I would have to use vacation care for sure so I'm lucky there.

It's definitely hard work! This January I ended up having 3 weeks off work and it was really nice to relax and enjoy the school holidays. Usually it's quite exhausting maintaining the schedule!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not direct experience but I was in before and after school care from prep with my brother. My parents both worked full time. I only have good memories from it - from the carer who made the best toast at before school care to running around crazy after school with friends and doing craft - plus doing homework at school so when we got picked up it was all just having quality time with Mum or Dad, dinner and bed. School holidays we went to the YMCA holiday care and once a year my parents took two weeks off over xmas when we went to QLD (from Melbourne) to visit my Grandad. We loved it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Those of u who take turns using annual leave to look after kids during the holidays, do u get to take holidays as a family still?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SoThisIsLove View Post
    Those of u who take turns using annual leave to look after kids during the holidays, do u get to take holidays as a family still?
    Yes family holidays are the most importnant thing to me. We take 2 a year at least. Even if it's just going up the coast for a week as a family.