+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Working parents with school age children

How do you deal with the ~12 weeks/year of school holidays and the 3(ish)pm finish times?

We spend so much time talking and worrying about having accessible childcare so that parents can work, but it occurred to me that at least childcare is open for 10+ hours a day, most days of the year. Making it somewhat easier to work full time with a baby/toddler compared to a child who knocks off at 3 and gets a 6 week vacation.

So what do you do? After school care every day? Holiday programs? Send them to the grandparents for 2 weeks?

Thanks
    Reviews
    We're about to face this problem because I'm about to start full time work at a very not family friendly workplace. We've managed to negotiate temporary flexible hours for my DH so that he can do the pick up, and he's booked in annual leave for school holidays for the first 6 months. After the first year we'll share taking leave to cover school holidays and use vacation care for the shortfall.

To be honest, its been a huge worry for me and every time I think about starting work I feel nauseous. So many workplaces are not family friendly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I don't have that problem yet but my SIL and sister and their husbands just take a week off each every school holidays (8weeks) and the 4 extra weeks is either vacation care or grandparents/relatives - at DS new school there are only 4 kindy mums who don't work and half the class is in before and after care from 7am -6pm and they have a really good vacation care programme

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hubby and I are both teachers so the holidays won't be an issue but we'll be using the before and after school care if I can't get a job at the school my little girl ends up going to. The plan is to pull her out of her school and re-enrol at wherever I get a job if possible and then she will be going to hubby's secondary. Unfortunately the school I would really love to send her to doesn't offer the OOSHC which we would need if I was elsewhere :-(

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We use after school care. DS1 starts school at 8:20am so we don't need to use before school care. My mum will stay during the school holidays to look after him. At Xmas DH and I will take some time off and use vacation care if we need too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I use after care during the week, during school holidays I ask grandparents to help and then have to use holiday programs, most of my wage during school holidays goes to care if i can't get help.

Thanks
    Reviews
    How do your children go with the OOSH care? It makes a long day for them!
    Even in high school I often needed a nap as soon as I got home from school, I don't think I'd have coped with an 8-10 hour day at that age :-/
    (At least at daycare they get a nap in the middle!)

I know I have a few more years until I actually have to worry about this, but it's sounding pretty stressful already! I was pretty lucky as a child, my mum had flexible hours so could pick me up from school, and I was able to go with her to work in the holidays (where I had an excellent time!)
    Last edited by deku; 11-02-2016 at 21:30. Reason: missed a word, duh

8. The Following User Says Thank You to deku For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (11-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    this is what is holding me back from work, we have no oshc for the older child and no way to get him to and from school and limited daycare options, many centers dont close during holidays though

if I can get work Im going to look at family daycare tbh, the one he was in previously wouldve been perfect as he couldve walked across the road to school but his carer fell ill so we dont have any daycare now

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Oosh for us diring the school term and a babysitter on the mornings and afternoons when oosh doesnt have a spot. It does make for a long day... its pretty much dinner then bed on oosh nights. Babysitter means more free time at home in the afternoons but it costs a fortune! Holidays we do a mixture of leave, grandparents and holiday care.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Both my kids are at oosh morning and afternoon. Dh will be going back to work soon and this means I will be doing both drop off and pick up. It's going to be a long day for all of us. Kids will be there by 7 am and picked up at 5 pm, bed by 8.30

Dd who was in kindy last year coped fine and really liked the oosh. They have lots of craft activities and the older kids were really nice to her so that helps. She is tired by 7 pm though and can get quite cranky.
    So far she doesn't have much homework so it's ok. Not sure how things will go later on but I will deal with that when the time comes.
    Ds started kindy this year and is also settling in fine though he would rather be home lol

With holidays we usually let the kids choose which vacation care activities they would like to do and they attend those, then between us we take annual leave. Unfortunately we don't have any family to help out.

Edit: the vacation care is run by the oosh.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Jontu For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (11-02-2016)