My DD is 2years and 10months. She still speaks in single words and has started seeing a speech therapist. He language has started improving a bit but she's way behind. she has always been delayed developmentally. She was born at 36 weeks and screamed and screamed as a baby for no specific reason (had seen paeds etc). She had sleep issues but now co-sleeps fine.
The first session with the speech therapist they noted good eye contact and concentration. However, other things that concern me:
- She takes instruction only if it's something she wants to do.
- her imaginative play is not very advanced for her age. For eg instead of putting a doll in the pram and pushing it she likes to just play with the hood. lifting and dropping it over and over. She will play with her tea set but like to match the colours of the cups/saucers.
- She often completely ignores us when we call her (hearing has been checked and is 100%).
- She often has emotional meltdowns when she wants something and gets frustrated she can't communicate it.
- we've got a 2 week old baby now and she has 0 interest in him.
- She loves other kids but doesn't know how to interact.
I'm going to raise it with her speechy but just felt they dismissed other issues very quickly, or maybe they think she's quite young? I don't personally know any kids with ASD but realise it can vary so much. Hubby agrees that she has always seemed different to other kids her age and has lots of cousins similar ages. Not sure where to go from here...with the new baby DH will take her to therapy next week. I want him to raise concerns so that they can at least assess her behaviour rather than just assume it's only speech. What are your thoughts? Anyone been here before? Was it or wasn't it ASD or something else?