+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default When people remark "get a life"

Do you hear this term thrown around much?

My MIL was visiting the other day and remarked that a woman we saw at the local skate park who was coaching/helping her daughter in and out of the skate bowl needed to 'get a life'. Not directly to the woman, but later on that day to us.

DH and I know a lot of parents who are involved in their children's sporting pursuits and we thought it was a pretty narrow minded thing to say. Seems the parents are really happy to be involved and certainly have social lives of their own.

Anyway, it got me thinking - in what instance would YOU use such a remark?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    No. I'm not really sure what she means to be honest.

I don't think I've heard the remark ever used in that context.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think of it in the context of someone constantly creating or associating with drama.

What an odd thing for your MIL to say. It sounds like that mum was doing a great thing by engaging in her child's interest 😊

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I agree it was odd.

I can only guess that she thinks that the parent should have better things to do

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Only time I have heard that saying used is when someone is harping over something really minor - OR - if they are being a busy body/ gossip/ up in other people's business.
    I don't think it should ever apply to a parent playing with or teaching their child a skill.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CakeyMumma For This Useful Post:

BettyW  (11-02-2016),binnielici  (11-02-2016),HillDweller  (11-02-2016),Jontu  (11-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would never use that term. To me it always sounds mean spirited or bitter.

I have heard people use it before - and its usually in situations where there's resentment towards the target of it (i.e. someone's a bit jealous/guilty and throws around that term to make themselves feel better).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Degrassi View Post
    I agree it was odd.

I can only guess that she thinks that the parent should have better things to do
    Was she a hands off parent?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Only ever when I see people doing destructive things to someone else's property, or causing undue pain/worry to another person for no reason. For example, if someone put graffiti on a public wall, or if somebody feels it is appropriate to denegrate another person's reputation. In times like that I will think to myself "Oh, get a life!" I'd never speak it out loud though. the world is full of loonies these days and you never know what will set them off....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Was she a hands off parent?
    Yeah, I think she was.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The only time I would use that saying is when someone is chasing drama and then whinging about it... I wouldn't say it to them but would certainly think it to myself. Not in a nasty way - just like 'seriously'.