+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Any late-talker success stories?

Hi all. My son is now 2 years, 10 months so I thought I'd update in case someone is frantically reading late talker posts like I was.

The short story is... things are ok. He doesn't have apraxia. He just started talking more. By 32 months he was still unclear but was within a normal range language wise (though still below average).

He certainly isn't fabulously clear now - but I think he would probably be described as phonological delayed. He is also tending to omit the little words (a, the) from speech. I am optimistic, though, that he will be caught up by school.

I hope this helps someone. I always discredited the variability of development. I'm pleased I pursued all the avenues for assessment I did but, I guess, most kids really do get there in their own time.
    Last edited by Lubdub; 15-11-2016 at 18:09.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lubdub For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (15-11-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (15-11-2016),rusty22  (16-11-2016),SSecret Squirrel  (15-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My son will be 3 in April.. he is on the waiting list for speech pathology. He has been assessed before but we were told sometimes children (especially boys ) sometimes don't start talking till around 3. Well that was 3/4 months ago and even though hes "behind" compared to other toddlers his age i can see/hear him saying new words at least each week.. when he does turn 3 in 6 months we will have him assessed again, though I'm not concerned as i know he will learn at his own pace just like most kids. I've got an older daughter (just turned 12) with apraxia of speech so i wanted to make sure he didn't have this. Just seems like a delay in my sons case, though like i said i can see and hear him saying new things all the time.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default 21 month old late talker

My daughter is 21 months and only has a handful of words and is shy.

Her paediatrician said that could be red flags a second option said she is a Normal girl at this stage and let's monitor the speech for 3 months and revisit.

I am so confused and worried out of my brain. Anyone has similar and what was the outcome? Late takers and shy?

She warms up to people she doesn't know, plays like a regular child makes eye contact responds to her name. Sometimes appears like she understands you and other times she appears like she doesn't understand.

My husband thinks I am overacting.

Any advice?
    Last edited by Karot; 26-11-2016 at 21:31.