+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    My 19 month old has only 3 words he uses everyday.
    Mum
    Gone
    More

But other days he'll say 'what you doing', and little phrases like that. He also just does A LOT of pointing (especially if his brother/sister has hurt him or done something naughty :/)

All three of my kids were late talkers, but once started the words just exploded out of them.
    My 3 yr old (middle) seemed to take forever, but now is very articulate and will say sentences very carefully to make sure he says things right.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just an update - and not a particularly great one.

I took my son to a speechie and, while its only at the early stages of assessment, the possibility of apraxia was raised.
    I'm devastated by the prospect (I know, I should be positive and all that, but that would be a lie).

To recap, he is 25 months with some unintelligible jargon and maybe 5 words used rarely - except for 'Ma' which he uses a lot.

So, if you have some success stories, that would be very, VERY appreciated! Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lubdub View Post

I took my son to a speechie and, while its only at the early stages of assessment, the possibility of apraxia was raised.
    I'm devastated by the prospect (I know, I should be positive and all that, but that would be a lie).

To recap, he is 25 months with some unintelligible jargon and maybe 5 words used rarely - except for 'Ma' which he uses a lot.

So, if you have some success stories, that would be very, VERY appreciated! Thanks
    Try to think positive, Drs just go by what we tell them. My girl isn't talking except from around 8 words and she's 22 months, my son was a late talker, but this child is really starting to stress me also.

Hang in there.

Did the speechie give you any exercises to try at home? Do you have an iPad you can put apps on, like baby flash cards where they also make the sound?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Nafsika For This Useful Post:

Lubdub  (03-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

My son was diagnosed with verbal dyspraxia at 2 years 4 months. Previous to this he said very few words, and the words he did say we're completely wrong. For example, he loved watching Thomas, but Thomas was called Dar, Toby was Beebum, etc. He would also make up hand signals to get across what he wanted.

He started speech therapy and the first thing the speechie did was teach him a hand signal. My mum and I thought she was crazy. He slowly started to pick up words. She started with "I want..." And other phrases that would be used a lot.

Started weekly for first year and a half, then fortnightly, then monthly. He got to a point where the speechie didn't seem to be helping him as we'd like so we changed to a speech therapy called Prompt therapy. This therapy involved the new speechie physically moving his mouth to show him how he needed to make sounds.

All up he went to speech therapy for about six and a half years. He had learned all the speech sounds and was finally up to his peers in speech.

My son never had a problem with understanding, only expressive language. He has always been a very clever boy. He taught himself to read almost by turning on tv subtitles (with me just thinking he was playing with the tv). For the past two years he has won his class academic award, constantly reads, has an amazing memory, and attends an extension program. It was a long road with speech therapy but definitely worth it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to believa For This Useful Post:

Lubdub  (03-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I'm sorry this is causing you so much worry. Try to remind yourself that with any clear diagnosis comes the ability to implement the best treatment.

Have you considered teaching him a little bit of baby sign language? If he is wanting to communicate but unable to, then he might really like it. Just google baby sign and start with really common words that are requests. For example I teach my kids water, more and finished. All really help to avoid miscommunication at meal times. Good luck. Xxx

8. The Following User Says Thank You to RedCreamingSoda For This Useful Post:

Lubdub  (05-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My son is 5 years old and has apraxia of speech. His biggest problem is expressive language. He attends speech therapy fortnightly and has since he was 3 years old.

I knew something was wrong by 12months when he still made little sounds, then by 2 very few words.

The best thing for him is repetition. We would spend all day just saying the same words over and over. Everytime he wanted something, we'd say the word/name for it 10times and encourage him to say them back. I made photo books of common people in his life & common items and practiced those with him. We also started at the basics, teaching him the sounds of letters before then moving to words.

I also can't speak highly enough of the apps by ncad and articulation station (there's a number of similar articulation apps).

His language is still delayed and will take a few more years to catch up but eventually he should get to a point where you'd never notice. It just takes a lot of willingness to practice and patience!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bumblebeez00 For This Useful Post:

Lubdub  (05-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My daughter has a significant speech delay. Initially thought to be oral apraxia... now we're unsure. Regardless... the treatment is the same approach.
    Because she does have a syndrome/disability we see a lot of therapists and have had a lot of input in her 3 years.
    Some things we do ..
    Hanen program (very good way of helping us parents develop communication with our kids)
    Intensive speech therapy - weekly at this stage.
    Use of signs (really really helpful)
    PROMPT therapy (the therapist touches the mouth/face to help show what it should be doing).
    We are now looking into an ipad with proloquo on it. Which is using pictures to help.

Basically anything you can do to help communication will help speech develop. I do lots of commentating on her play and interpretation of what she's saying.
    And signs. Signs have been a game changer. We dropped them for about 6 months. But started again. Helps with dealing with frustration of wanting to say something but can't.
    Good luck!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

Lubdub  (05-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you very much for your kind replies and suggestions. They are appreciated 😊

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DS is 3 and only has 1 word but it's quite inconsistent, he makes lot's of sounds and babbles and tries to say words occasionally but he has been diagnosed with a genetic disorder so we know why with him.

I hope you find answers, speech therapies can be good. Also there is a course called 'Hanen - It Takes Two to Talk' where you learn techniques and different strategies to help your child communicate which was really quite helpful for me. If you do an early interverntion program or even ask a GP or speechie about it you might get some information about the course in your area, that might help you in the future.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to zoz For This Useful Post:

Lubdub  (05-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    one of our friends kids did the same. Hardly spoke a word at age 2 but is now three and a half almost and his vocabulary is amazing. Dont stress too much, if he points and recognizes words he will get there eventually. Every kid is different.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to someonesomewhere For This Useful Post:

Lubdub  (16-04-2016)