+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Spin off: how much is your 'spending' money each week?

Spin off from the budget-money thread.
    Just wondering how much is other people 'spending money' each week or fortnight.

My husband gets about $120 a fortnight and that covers his sport three times a week, coffee or a lunch out at work and whatever else he likes'

I probably only use maybe $50 a fortnight but I don't play sport or get out much to do my own thing ( 3 young kids)

Interested to hear how much others allocate?

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    bit naughty but I don't really allocate any specific amount. I buy what i need if that makes sense.

before mat leave, I would spend nothing during my work days as I don't buy coffees and would take my own lunch everyday.

I figure that saves quite a bit of money. so if I have a day where I go blow $150 at Kmart and Priceline, I figure that's ok because I've spent zero on average most weeks.

dh also takes his own lunch but likes to buy coffees. I keep seeing expenses pop up on the cc so I've told him to just take out $50 cash for his coffee kitty for the week but a trip to the atm is obviously too hard 😂

neither of us smokes and I'm not drinking at the moment so our weekly discretionary spendings are pretty low.

we're fairly relaxed with this but I think it's because we are both quite frugal so it's not a point of conflict that needs to be micromanaged or anything.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm another who doesn't really have an allocated amount. DF and I just spend what we want, when we want. We have however tightened our spending as we are saving for a house, however after we put money away for that we just spend whatever. Some weeks we will spend lots, some weeks we spend barely any money.

I assume this will definitely change when we finally have our first baby. I'm interested to see what other people believe is a reasonable amount to allocate for spending each week.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We don't allocate anything. I take my own lunch each day he buys lunch and coffee each day. If I want something I buy it. He usually wants nothing and hates shopping so I balance it out for the both of us lol. We have our own house and bills. I dunno. It just works without either of us saying " you can only spend $100 on yourself this week. " that would be really annoying.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    We don't have one. We just do our best to pay bills & essentials. I rarely spend money on myself unless I need medication or something (I know, lame).

This year is gonna suck financially so I'm just riding it out until next year when we'll have no preschool fees and my car loan will be gone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We have a strict budget as we are now on predominately one income (I only work a few hours a week as a consultant to my former boss). So we have $50 a week to spend on whatever we please without consultation. It doesn't mean we don't spend on other wants (as opposed to needs) but if it exceeds that amount (or what we've allowed to build up by not spending the $50 each week) then we discuss.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to binnielici For This Useful Post:

cheeeeesecake  (10-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We don't have allocated spending money. We buy what we want (within reason; I want a house in the inner city, endless champagne and a manicure every week but I'm not buying them!). If I want a new top I buy it. I buy cheap, budget stuff though. DH is a runner and if he needs new runners or wants to pay for a race entry, he just does. For purchases more than a hundred or so I'll give him a heads up and for anything more than two to three hundred we have a quick chat. We're fortunate that we are in the position we're in and don't have to stick to a super strict budget or go without to make ends meet.

I probably spend about $50- $100 a week on myself (averaging out haircuts, beauty products and make-up). DH about the same (again, averaged out).

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have about $250 a week to myself, DP probably a bit higher as he's the higher wage earner but a lot of his 'spare' money ends up going into his business, or it goes on family stuff that benefits all of us - dinners out, stuff for the house / yard etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We each have $120 for ourselves every week, it doesn't include DH's sport or my hair. It's just for fun.
    And I have $100 for DS (4 months) which includes nappies.

It works for us, DH has every dollar accounted for which makes it much easier for us to save and pay extra on the mortgage.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DP gets whatever money is left over after he pays the mortgage, internet and netflix. (about $120 a week) I have anything left over after food, everything children related, all bills including private health, car expenses for 2 cars, all childcare costs, and designated savings. I earn a LOT more then my DP so it evens out and we have a modest mortgage with no other debt. (about $1000 a month but i end up chucking most into savings and getting ahead in the bills). My DP is a spender and I am the saver.
    Last edited by Dinosaur Train; 10-02-2016 at 17:46.