+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I still don't let DD1 aged 9, go by herself unless she's with someone like my friends daughter (over 12) or an adult. The other 3 who are younger need to come with me still.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BabyG4 For This Useful Post:

Stretched  (10-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have no idea. My eldest is 3. I'm not particularly anxious when it comes to that kind of thing, but I really don't know given that I couldn't yet reliably send my 3 year old to go by herself without her yelling out that she needed my help.

I THINK we went in toilets by ourselves from about 8...but I'm not certain. My sister was 2.5 years older than me, and would usually have been with me anyway.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

Stretched  (10-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Uniquey View Post
    I still go with all mine and my oldest is 9 years. I think it will be a while off yet. My oldest DD thinks she's old enough, but after the tragic incident in a W.A shopping centre years back, I'm happy to keep accompanying them all until such time as I'm comfortable letting them go alone.
    My thoughts exactly. That little girl was 8 and I think it was her brother who waited outside for her? I'll be going with my girls well into their teens I think unless that have a friend with them in the ladies toilets

6. The Following User Says Thank You to SoThisIsLove For This Useful Post:

Stretched  (10-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Honestly, it just depends on where we are that influences my decision.

Sometimes, my 9yo DD, 8yo DS1 and 6yo DS2 use public toilets on their own, other times they don't. If we're at a restaurant (bistro/Maccas/cafe/etc) then they go on their own. If we're at the local (small) pool, they go on their own, if we're at the big city pool we go with them.

If it's just a random public toilet (park/shopping centre/car park/etc) then it just depends, but they usually go on their own and DH or I will wait outside for them, unless we need to go as well.

I try not to instill any kind of fear about public areas, whilst horrible things happen, at the end of the day, things like this aren't an ordinary every day experiences and I'm trying to raise confident, independent children who are aware of what is and is not appropriate behaviours from others. Whilst I understand that isn't going to protect them if the worst happens, I just don't want them fearing the world

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lillynix For This Useful Post:

beebs  (11-02-2016),HollyGolightly81  (11-02-2016),PomPoms  (10-02-2016),Renn  (10-02-2016),Stretched  (10-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SoThisIsLove View Post
    My thoughts exactly. That little girl was 8 and I think it was her brother who waited outside for her? I'll be going with my girls well into their teens I think unless that have a friend with them in the ladies toilets
    Her 11yr old brother was waiting right outside the door for her. My heart still drops and I tear up a bit when Sofia is mentioned because I actually knew her, and she was good friends with my baby sister. I was horrified when it hit the news, my sister looked very similar to Sofia and she was in the same shopping centre using the same toilet the day before! Absolutely disgusted with how the police handled that case, AND the previous times the same man had assaulted little girls!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Spin off: what age do you let your child go into a public toilet alone?

I used to feel like you do @Lillynix. I still do. I let my 10 and 6 year old girls ride to the shops alone and also to school. So I get what you're saying.

But for me going to the toilet in a public place isn't something they need to be able to do when they are youngish. They can all toilet themselves alone so they don't need to master that. It's a pita dragging 4 kids into a toilet every time but it's what I do.

I recall this thread being discussed on here years ago and a very wise old member commented to the effect that what lesson does a child learn going to the toilet alone? It's not like letting them climb a tree.

I agree the risk is very small but it's one risk where I actually struggle to see a benefit so they suck it up and we all go together.

I'm not in any way criticising your decision. This was a topic I was very meh about until a few years back and I actually changed my mind after a Bubhub thread.
    Last edited by Sonja; 10-02-2016 at 15:12.

11. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

BabyG4  (10-02-2016),binnielici  (10-02-2016),misskittyfantastico  (10-02-2016),MissMuppet  (10-02-2016),Mod-Uniquey  (10-02-2016),Stretched  (10-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS is 9 and he goes to the men's room at the swimming centre on his own but every week we have the discussion of what to do if something should go wrong. We tend to go out shopping as a family now so DH will go with him to the toilet and I must say when it is him and me he often doesn't need the toilet. If we are at our local coffee shop I'll let him go on his own as its one toilet so I feel ok.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My girls are 9 and 11 and I still go in with them or wait outside for them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I let my 8 year old go with his 12 year old brother but not alone. I make my 6 year old come with me if DH is not with us.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    There are so many variables and i consider case by case basis. Piblic toilet in my local cafe, yes, public toilet at my local beach, no. I also do not ever place a sense of ' responsibility' on an older sibbling. No way.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to littleriv For This Useful Post:

ICanDream  (10-02-2016)