+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I concur with what the others have said, in order for it to work, it needs to fit with your life!

Let them know the 9pm bedtime will not work for you, and if they're not prepared to be flexible to help you find a routine that works for you guys - just leave! If they're telling you that's the only way to help you, their wrong and shouldn't be operating!

Honestly, trust your mother instincts, they are rarely wrong.

X

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MrsA2B For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (10-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Gosh, I hope things improve for you and bubs! I understand that all sleep schools have a different approach but from all my reading and from what I learnt from the sleep consultant we used, 9pm is so late for bedtime. I'm in bed by 8pm so a 9pm bedtime wouldn't work for us.

Have they explained their approach or reasoning for this? It would be interesting to hear/compare with what others are saying.

Anyway, all the best for the rest of your stay and I really hope it does help xxx

4. The Following User Says Thank You to wobbleyhorse For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    No idea about sleep schools but just wanted to say that I do understand the exhaustion. Lots of people do. My baby wasn't the issue, my 3yo has sleeping problems. She is on medication now but was only sleeping 2x 1-1.5 hour blocks a night, first one at 3am. She is better now but still sleeping a lot less than what is considered normal. You're not alone. And you'll find a lot of time, people who brag the most and the loudest about sleep, are often lying.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ahalfdozen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I often considered going to sleep school, but couldn't make it work with no one to watch DD1. My DD2 is a terrible sleeper and I've pushed through, she seems to be improving now and she's 2. For what it's worth her bedtime was 9 and she was still a horrendous sleeper! It was only that late as I was putting DD1 to bed first.

I've had friends who have used phone consults with private sleep experts and they have helped heaps. None of them have ever said put her to bed later! There's a lady in Brisbane whose meant to be excellent.

Good luck xxoo

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also, for what it's worth - all the advice I've had for my 6 month old twins is that they should be in bed by 8pm at the absolute latest, and should be able to be in bed for 11 hours (with a dream feed at 10.30pm). So if they go down at 7pm, they wake around 6am.

They also have 2x 1.5 - 2hr naps and 1x 45 min cat nap.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MrsA2B For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    I just want to give you a huge hug!

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (10-02-2016),gingermillie  (10-02-2016),wobbleyhorse  (10-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh poor you. I agree that the methods and reasoning sound very dodgy to me. I've not been to sleep school and have only done things based on reading books etc but I've not come across the thinking behind such a late bedtime. I know a lot of people have babies that naturally want to stay up later but they inevitably wake up late and it just fits with their lifestyle. For me both my babies have to be in bed by 7 as they are just so desperate to go to bed. Now my 2 year old starts getting upset when he's overtired and cries "night night" as he wants to go to bed. I think if you're dd has always been going to bed early and showing signs of being ready you should try and bring this up with them as it seems pretty unfair trying to keep her awake that long.
    I really hope things improve for you soon, it sounds awful. I'm sure you pinned all your hopes on sleep school but as others have said, maybe it's just not the right approach for you and a sleep consultant may be better. Keeping everything crossed for you and virtual hugs. Xx

14. The Following User Says Thank You to nh2489 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I remember spending a week at sleep school with my oldest when he was 7 months old. At the end of that week they basically told me they couldn't help me as they rarely got babies as 'difficult' as him. I was so crushed. I had pinned all my hopes on sleep school helping and felt completely alone when I didn't have any options left. The sleeplessness was soul destroying. Anyway he is 6 now. We got through it. At the time it felt like I would be stuck in that stage forever. But he is an awesome 6 yr old now and such a delight to be around.

I just want you to know that even if sleep school doesn't help you, you will get through this. It will pass! Doesn't seem like it but it will. I would ignore the 9pm bedtime. That would never work for me.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Barnaby For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I didn't go to sleep school as DD has always been a good sleeper, but I would agree that 9pm seems waaaaaayyyyy too late. DD at that age went to bed around 6:30 or so from memory. If that won't work for you (and I don't see how it could for many families) let them know straight away so they can hopefully adjust for you. I hope you can get some answers.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to bezzy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hugs. I have two horrid sleepers and I'm exhausted, between them and work, life etc. I just was reading about a sleep school and then read your vent. I'm scared and 9 is too late, when do you get any time!

Hope it changes for you soon. Hugs again.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to MrsSS For This Useful Post: