+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Dd waking at 5am ready to learn

Dd has just started prep and is waking at what I would describe as the "crack of dawn" ready to learn! It's only 5am and we have already spoken about medication in pregnancy, blood donation and she's now specifically asked to learn about plasma and platlets! I was still awake at 1am! Don't get me wrong I'm incredibly proud of her, but how do I keep going? I need more than 4 hours sleep a night
    Last edited by Carpe diem 2013; 10-02-2016 at 04:53.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    If you want your dd to stop waking at 5:
    1) check the temp and bedding in your DD's room is appropriate (ie dd isn't waking from cold)
    2) treat any waking before the desired wake up time (7am?) as a night waking. The more you entertain your dd at 5am the more she will want to wake at 5am the next day. It only takes a couple of days to form a habit however it can take weeks to break one...

Can you go to bed earlier to make sure you get more sleep?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Carpe diem 2013  (10-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    If you want your dd to stop waking at 5:
    1) check the temp and bedding in your DD's room is appropriate (ie dd isn't waking from cold)
    2) treat any waking before the desired wake up time (7am?) as a night waking. The more you entertain your dd at 5am the more she will want to wake at 5am the next day. It only takes a couple of days to form a habit however it can take weeks to break one...

Can you go to bed earlier to make sure you get more sleep?
    Thanks, when they get past a certain age I don't think the brain registers it as night waking per se.

I went to bed at 10pm and was still awake at 1am. Even with the help of a sleeping tablet I was still wide awake :-(

I've got a lot going on at the moment and my marriage is on the rocks :-( so I found myself bawling my eyes out at midnight so it was 1am by the time I could fall asleep and then was awake just before 5 to go to the bathroom :-( dd heard me up so assumed it was "party time".

If she does it again tonight I will send her back to bed and if she complains I will tell her to read a book until 6 or lie quietly. Does that seem reasonable?

Hopefully I will get more than four hours tonight as I've been burning the candle at both ends for months now and I need to start looking after myself

Thanks
    Reviews
    How old is she? If she understands about complicated things like plasma then I'm sure you could teach her to read the time. Maybe get a digital clock for her room and tell her she needs to play quietly and not wake you until 7am?

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DarcyJ For This Useful Post:

Carpe diem 2013  (11-02-2016),Stretched  (10-02-2016),VicPark  (10-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've used these clocks that you can set the time and the LED light behind them will be red, orange or green for the children I nanny for. Works like a charm. I think they're called gro clocks b
    Red= sleep
    Orange= awake and can do quiet activities in your room
    Green= you can start your day

8. The Following User Says Thank You to babymummatobe For This Useful Post:

Carpe diem 2013  (11-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DarcyJ View Post
    How old is she? If she understands about complicated things like plasma then I'm sure you could teach her to read the time. Maybe get a digital clock for her room and tell her she needs to play quietly and not wake you until 7am?
    I would suggest this as well but would get an analogue clock. My DD could tell time to the half hour on her watch in prep but she would wake us up at random times if she looked at our alarm clocks. Eg. 6.17 ... "mummy, the clock says 7" lol!

If she's not ready for telling time yet a 'Gro Clock' is another awesome idea.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

Carpe diem 2013  (11-02-2016),DarcyJ  (10-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    She's 5 years old and just started school in Jan

Thanks
    Reviews
    She's five and just started her first year of schooling

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    You poor thing OP sorry you're having such a rough trot xx

Just a heads up with any changes you make it can take up to a few weeks to work. Stick with it.

Good luck

14. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Carpe diem 2013  (11-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    She's five and just started her first year of schooling