+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Alkaline diet help

Hi ladies,

I'm seeing an acupuncturist twice per week to try to improve my long cycles and fertility. He wants me to make my diet more alkaline, so pretty much 70% vegetables and the remaining 30% made up of meat, fruit and carbs. I'm really struggling with the idea, I eat fairly healthily already but cutting out most meat and all dairy is a bit daunting! So I just wanted go hear from others who have been on an alkaline diet for fertility and wondered if you have any meal ideas / recipes for me? I don't eat any fish except salmon but apparently salt water fish is acidic so it has to be fresh water fish which I haven't tried yet! This acupuncture is really expensive ($45 per session after my PHI rebate x 2 per week!) so I want to do everything I can to fall pregnant this cycle so I don't have to go back next cycle!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Are you doing chinese medicine also? And warming foods? I did acu & tcm before both my ivf cycles and they worked 1st go.
    Lambs a great meat

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I haven't tried the alkaline diet but did use acupuncture when TTC as I had short cycles and wasn't sure I was ovulating. I did fall pregnant with my first month of treatment though, without any dietary changes...
    Have you been prescribed any Chinese medicine? I had 1-2 types can't remember what they were now but one was supposedly to 'warm' me up. Acupuncture seems to be all about internal balance so there must be reasons you're being told to eat more alkaline.

There are plenty of online resources with regard to alkaline diet (most vegan type diets are quite alkaline). It's also used for cancer treatment etc. I don't think it can hurt to try but don't get too hung up on it being the answer either.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No Chinese medicine or herbs yet but he did mention maybe herbs to me at my first appointment. He hasn't mentioned anything about warming foods yet, though he has me temping so maybe he's waiting to see a bit of a temp chart to see what's going on and what to recommend.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have you been investigated for PCOS jro03? I remember you saying both your sisters had it and you have been struggling with long cycles and skin breaking out since coming off the pill.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueLips View Post
    Have you been investigated for PCOS jro03? I remember you saying both your sisters had it and you have been struggling with long cycles and skin breaking out since coming off the pill.
    I have mentioned it to my GP and she seems to think that because my cycles aren't wildly irregular (last 3 have been 31, 43 and 44 days) that it's not PCOS. I'm not convinced but will keep trying for a little longer before I push for further testing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My acupuncturist also recommended an alkaline diet and to eat food warm, and to avoid nightshades and acidic foods. Something about the balance and a more alkaline system more favourable for fertility. I did chinese medicine and weekly acupuncture for around 3months before each cycle. A skilled acupuncturist can achieve changes in a very short time, its just the changes are easier on the body if done slowly.
    My acupuncturist got me ovulating from day 20/21 to day 15 in 2 cycles and i didnt need my ivf trigger

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's definitely worth investigating if you aren't ovulating I bet that's your issue going on the things you have mentioned

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Alkaline diet help

Quote Originally Posted by BlueLips View Post
    It's definitely worth investigating if you aren't ovulating I bet that's your issue going on the things you have mentioned
    I had a chem last month when I thought I didn't ovulate (only reason I thought that was due to lack of cm) so I think I am ovulating - well I know I did last cycle anyway. Though I have thought that I might have it for a while!