+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Shift workers TTC/Pregnancy

Attention all fellow shift workers... I was having a chat with a friend yesterday about what you can/can't use as a sleeping aid post night shift. It seems all of the usual suspects are not recommended when TTC or during pregnancy - esp in first trimester. So, hit me with your suggestions! I usually take 25mg Phenergan. I only take it if I've worked a night shift and I'm working another one that night. So I usually only take it two or three times a month when I have 2+ nights in a row. I had a look the other day and it's a definite no go, which made me very sad lol. I need something to help me sleep. For example today I took nothing because I'm finished and I had a broken 2hr sleep. There's no way I could have crappy sleep like that and then back it up with another night shift, which are usually 12hr shifts. So I need your help shift workers of bub hub land. How did you do it?!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ive never needed a sleeping aide. I used to sleep ok between nights, but since having kids I freaking die and sleep and sleep between nights

Thanks
    Reviews
    My only suggestion is when you wake up you must lie there. No phones. No getting up. Lie there till its time to get up. It's a bit like controlled crying 😜. Eventually your body learns to quieten those voices saying "it's pointless lying here I might as well get up and do something".

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I worked shift work when pregnant with my eldest and didn't use anything. But during my second pregnancy I was atrociously sick (hyperemesis) and my de prescribed me renitadine (or something, it was a few years ago) to help me sleep through the sickness a bit.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh yeah the tiredness does make the morning sickness worse. I spewed every night shift till 16 weeks. I stayed on shift till 38 weeks with no problem though. 12hr shifts on my feet was easier than being home with a toddler!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I envy those who don't need pharmaceutical help to sleep after night shifts! Seriously envious. I need something to try though. I'll try the whole lying in bed thing and not getting up, but I tend to get restless and headachy if I lie there too long, not sleeping

Thanks
    Reviews
    A lot of people swear by having rain/thunder sounds on loop. We have recently started doing it in our room and I find I am sleeping better and my shift working husband loves it (plus he can put it on loud to drown out the kids during the day)

Thanks
    Reviews
    From memory, Doxylamine is CatA. Used for sleeping and MS.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Shift workers TTC/Pregnancy

Quote Originally Posted by Ngaiz View Post
    From memory, Doxylamine is CatA. Used for sleeping and MS.
    Yup it's an A! Safe to use in pregnancy.
    It's quite sedative though.
    I remember a friend bought it and it said take 1-2 tabs. He took 2 and slept for 48hrs!
    It's great for sleeping but start on a quarter to a half a tab!
    Phenergan is a category C.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Restavit. Apparently totally safe in pregnancy and knocks you out big time. I took half a tablet after a night shift and slept all day so be careful maybe start with a quarter. Sold over the counter at chemists.
    My friend took it for morning sickness alone but originally for sleeping