+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Honest question. The OP said the money was nowhere near shops. No way to find the owner.

Who do you contact to give it to? Sorry I'm struggling to understand the lengths people would go to to "return" $20. The police?

I'd donate it to a charity. I'm a pretty honest person who goes out of my way to return stuff and I'm struggling with the practical side of this one.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (10-02-2016),turquoisecoast  (09-02-2016)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Me and DP found £20 on the footpath when we were living in London and super poor. That was the equivalent of $60. We spent it on pizza and beer, like Kings #sorrynotsorry
    Wallet- sure I would hand in
    Wifi- wouldn't use someone else's
    Money found on the ground- finders keepers. The chance of the person who dropped it coming back, and thinking to ask around in nearby shops, and none of the shopkeepers quietly pocketing it, is so minuscule that I wouldn't bother, unless it was a significant amount (eg over $50 probably)

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

misho  (09-02-2016),misskittyfantastico  (09-02-2016),Sonja  (09-02-2016),SSecret Squirrel  (09-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If I found a wallet I would hand it in. If I saw someone drop the money I would get it back to them. If it was just lying there with no real clue as to where it came from I would pick it up and keep it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Honestly, I'd hand it in. I'd feel like I was stealing otherwise. I mean its not mine iykwim.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would do my best to find the person. Usually staying in the same spot and waiting for someone to come frantically searching the ground is a good hint its them. Then I'd hand it in to the centre management or police beat - provided the shopping centre has one opened. We have a few useless places around here. If not, because I'm so certain of karma, I'd donate it to somewhere.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Id keep it.

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have handed over a $10 I found on the floor in front of the newsagents in our shopping center. I had no idea who it would have belonged to, but I just handed it to them because they were the closest shop. I have three different stories regarding finding money and then in the next 24 hours, we have lost money, so I will never keep any money or anything I just find. even if I find a coin on the ground, I will deposit into the first charity collection, or whatever as soon as I can. I wont even put in my purse, I will carry it in my hand until I find some where to pass it on. marie.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd keep it, and have done in the past.
    I've lost money before, and yes it sucks...but it has never crossed my mind to go back and look for lost money. Would people here actually go back and ask about money if they left it somewhere? Genuine question. Maybe I'll reconsider if I find money in future.

Any other item I'd definitely hand in whereever possible.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I guess if there was NOWHERE nearby/ no shops etc to hand it in to, I would probably give it to a charity. I dont know what amount is worth taking to the police - ? My thinking is, I hand it in, & its of no concern to me what happens to it thereafter. As long as I've 'done the right thing', it doesnt really matter if it doesnt get back to the owner, as long as Ive been an honest person &did my best to give it back. I'm really suprised people think the shop or centre management will just pocket it. When I worked in a supermarket, pocketing money was equal to stealing from the till - INSTANT dismissal. Even as a 15 year old, I wouldnt have been stupid enough to steal money at work & possibly ruin my job prospects for a very long time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd keep it unless it was glaringly obvious who it belonged to.

Any personal items (jewellery phone etc) I'd hand in or track down the owner.

I lost my phone last year and the lady who found it kept it charged and held onto it till I rang it (I didn't realise it was lost). There are good people out there.