+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I found $20 on the ground with no one around so I picked it up and kept it. Went shopping a few days later and when I got home found that one of my bags had fallen out from under my pushchair and my new $20 dress was lost! I didn't use that note to buy it but I did feel a bit like karma had bitten my on the ar$e!
    A wallet I'd defo track down the owner

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Molros For This Useful Post:

Gentoo  (09-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would pick it up & take it to centre management/a nearby 'larger' shop. I worked at Coles many years ago, &we had very strict rules about money being handed in. NO WAY were we ever allowed to 'pocket it'. It might only be $20, but it doesnt belong to me. It might be a mums only chance to feed her kids until the next payday. A pensioner's last $20 to buy groceries or pay a bill. Bus money for someone to go to a job interview. A kid who saved hard & is buying a new toy. The only money someone has left for a birthday gift for a loved one. It also might belong to some rich businessman... but to many people, $20 is a lot of money. Its not mine to take, handing it in is the right thing to do. Whatever happens to it thereafter doesnt really matter - as long as Ive done the right thing.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (09-02-2016),Gentoo  (09-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would keep $20 if I hadn't seen who dropped it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    In a mall, I'd hand it in to the nearest shop.

I have kept $20 I found on a road and no one was around.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'd prob pick it up but would feel bad keeping it so would either donate to charity or give it to someone who is sitting out the front of the shops begging or buy a copy of the big issue etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would hand it in. You just never know the circumstances of the person who dropped it.

In remember years ago I found a wallet with about 300 bucks in it. I was a poor struggling student and could have really used the money. But I went to the police station and handed it in. The cop couldn't believe it. Anyway they located the guy and he was thrilled. Almost immediately I started having all these financial breaks, I suddenly got extra hours at work and other stuff happened. Good karma. I could never take someone else's money.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    re handing it in, I just feel like whoever I hand it into would prob keep it. plus who do you hand it into? centre management? I reckon they'd definitely just keep it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    If I saw who had dropped it I'd yell out to give it back to them; if there was a customer service desk close by I'd hand it in otherwise I would just leave it, they might realise they've lost it and come back in a couple of minutes to look for it.

It might sound lame but I just really don't believe in stealing at all, there's no item or amount small enough to excuse it. When we were teenagers my brother found $2 on the ground and picked it up and I made him put it back down. He thought I was nuts but my philosophy is if it's not yours don't take it, simple as that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If I was absolutely certain I didn't know who's it was I would keep it. But if I seen someone drop it, or a wallet I would hand it in.
    I used to work in a leagues club and found a $50 note on the gaming room floor behind a regular "heavy" gambler. I knew it was his so gave it to him. He huffed & barely said thanks & as soon as I handed it over, in it went into the poker machine. Man, now that was a time I wish I wasn't so honest. The things I could of done or bought with that extra $50!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    When I was a teenager, my boyfriend and I found $200 in the street. We took it to the local police station and they said that there was nothing they could do. Unless it comes in a wallet or with some other way to identify who's it is, they can't do anything with it, so they told us to keep it.

So with that in mind, I probably wouldn't bother handing in cash that I found in a mall. If it was in a specific shop such as Coles, I might but not if it was just out in the general mall area. But I also tend to not really trust shop assistants to do the right thing. I saw someone hand in a wallet once, then another customer who was standing nearby said "Oh that's mine." And they just handed it to her and she ran off. It clearly wasn't hers and they didn't even ask her any identifying questions to make sure. The lady who handed it in gave them a massive serve.