+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CleverClogs View Post
    Wow. I am so impressed by how many people budget and do spreadsheets etc. Can anyone recommend a website? Also how about people who are not on a set amount each week . How do you budget for that? I think I am too scared to do a budget because I know we live out side our means.
    I just use an excel spreadsheet. Every pay is split between house/loan repayments, a set amount put aside for bills & food, then our fortnightly spending money. My DH's pay can vary, so I budget on his base pay and anything more is a bonus to go into savings.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We have a joint account plus an account in my name linked to a line of credit (wouldn't allow for joint). We both have cards for both and know the Internet banking details for both. DH usually jumps on and pays all the bills on payday and tells me how much is left over. We go shopping together as it means a trip out of town so we both know what is spent. If I want something, I don't need permission to buy it, I just ask if we have enough for me to buy it or if there is something else coming out I don't know about. I get a carers payment and sometimes get family tax benefit as I am a stay home mum, he earns the money. It's always been "our" money and we both have equal control.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have joint accounts. All of our wages go into the 1 account then every week a portion is taken out for:

- Bills account (every single bill is paid from here via a monthly direct debit or recurring bpay payment - set amount each week

- Weekly direct debits - Eg mortgage, car payment, xmas fund, credit cards - set amount each week

- Spending acc - Groceries, takeaway, fuel, going out etc - set amount each week

- Savings - whatever is left over after the top 3 have been taken care of

I handle all of our finances, hubby likes it this way and so do i, we have a very good system setup after alot of trial and error.

We both also discuss big purchases and our financial goals for the year ahead.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    For those that direct debit fortnightly/monthly to a bill account would it not be better for the money to be in your own account? I appreciate interest is limited these days but if you use a high interest online account to my mind at least it's me getting that small amount not big business!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by binnielici View Post
    For those that direct debit fortnightly/monthly to a bill account would it not be better for the money to be in your own account? I appreciate interest is limited these days but if you use a high interest online account to my mind at least it's me getting that small amount not big business!
    this is what we do. the fortnightly bills amount that dh has taken out goes into an online high interest savings account. interest is stuff all these days but better in our account than some utility provider!!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (10-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Since my last post, i am in the process of changing things. As i will be going on maternity leave soon and hubby is self employed, I am setting up every single bill to come out of a credit card designated only for bills. Then every time hubby gets paid, a portion of his pay gets paid onto that credit card used for bills.
    I would be really interested to see how others who are self employed or who have inconsistent pay cycles do everything? By doing this it alleviates some pressure & stress incase hubby has contractors paying slow.