+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I handle the money as my DH gets so anxious about this sort of thing. He jokes if he handled the money we'd live in the cheapest place possible. Its true he gets anxious, i mentioned in passing that I might start budgeting us tighter in preparation for when we get out mortgage and he freaked out that he was spending too much money. He spends nothing

I have a spreadsheet which works out how much per fortnight needs to go towards all our bills. My pay all goes to our joint bills. When DH gets paid in his separate account, i log on then transfer some more money into our bills account, pay off the credit card and then some into our joint savings accounts (house deposit, car residual, holidays and rainy day) and 50 into my separate accoun5 for coffee/lunches etx. The rest is groceries, fuel for our second car as our main car is salary sacrificed and it comes out of DH's pay automatically and extras. Complicated and we'll have to consolidate once we get a home loan but its working for now
    Last edited by smallpotatoes; 09-02-2016 at 19:38.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Last edited by LoveLivesHere; 09-02-2016 at 18:12.

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Louise41 View Post
    I hope I get out to. I just hope my depression doesn't stop me. Right now I'm trying to manage a DS who is an adult and his mental health issues plus my own. It's stressful
    You will get there, Louise. The main thing is you're not at all ignorant or in denial about the goings on in your relationship; you want better and you have the determination and clarity. It will all fall into place xx

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ~Marigold~ For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (09-02-2016),Clementine Grace  (09-02-2016),SuperGranny  (12-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Louise41 View Post
    My H pays it all and controls it all. I have no acres to the credit card or know about our joint acct. he doesn't let me know anything about our finances. I've asked and asked but he refuses to tell me. I go to the shops or to get petrol and pray there's enough in the acct. I'm now working 2 days a week and my pay goes into my acct and I use it for my personal things like hair, nails clothes and my ph bill .

I am aiming to leave hubby in next month or 2
    I know this is probably something in the too hard basket right now but have you tried going into a branch and requested a paper statement for the last 6 months or something? Can give you an idea of what comes in/out etc.

For our family we have a mortgage offset where most of our money goes. DH has a visa debit off his account that we both use. We also have our 'own' money in our own accounts when we get paid.

We both pay bills (whoever has time etc) and we always talk about and agree on big/most purchases.

We are both on the same page atm when it comes to finances and what we want (thankfully - DH used to spend lots more before he met me. Then I convinced him that paying off HECS/car loan early was better than just spending money on... random stuff)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have joint accounts that our pays go into. I transfer x amount to an offset account for direct debits to come out of and the mortgage is topped up from our pays as we both salary package. I pay the utility bills online. We always discuss big purchases. I take x amount out of the bank after shopping to last the fortnight. Dh's 4wd needs new tires before our trip to the city in May and we are paying off our boat cruise for next year so trying to stick to a strict budget these next few months.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DP and I pay 50/50 rent, bills & baby medical expenses (pregnant atm).

She pays her mortgage herself and associated expenses for it. She had her own investment property before we got together.

We transfer X amount into the joint account for bills to direct debit. Otherwise everything comes from separate accounts and we balance it out between us. Ie DP pays for a grocery shop, I pay the next.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I handle all money. dh gets $200 a fortnight to do whatever with. That's not inc fuel just take away or going out with friends type spending money.
    I spend whatever I want though. Poor dh haha but he is happy with it like that most of the time. Sometimes he needs more spending money and that's fine. It's just a guide as the rest we put to bills and savings. So would just mean less savings that week.
    I'm lucky he doesn't care too much in handling it because I couldn't handle not handling the finances!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default How do you handle your money?

We use DP's pay for everything (her car, our insurances, bills, groceries etc) except for the house and my car - they are covered in my pay. The rest of my pay goes into a joint savings account which we use for IVF these days. We have no other reason to touch it so if do ever take money out of it we consult each other. We lose bonus interest on that account so we try to avoid it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hubby handles the money. We have a spreadsheet of our income and outgoings (and when they all happen) so we know exactly what we should have and what we need to cover us. We have a savings account set up for DD, a savings account for us, a clothes account for DD, each our own separate account and an expenses account. All of those have a set amount going in daily/weekly/fortnightly and our main account that wages go in to has direct debits set up for all our bills and DDs activities. The expenses account is used for anything that isn't a bill or petrol so if we want a takeaway or something we need to make sure we have enough in the expenses to cover it. We both get $45 a week in our separate accounts and that is to spend on ourselves/presents for each other. The clothes account for DD covers any clothes I need to buy her/material to make them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I do it all, it can actually take a bit of work. I've got everything set on direct debit and I like to pay stuff fortnightly or monthly if i can, so we're always in credit for electricity etc. We're savers (well aim to be!) and since we had our DS and went down to mat leave/1.5 income i keep a pretty strict budget. We were spending too much just by not planning. A lot is saved to offset mortgage every month, I'm a planner so i put money away for Christmas, holidays, flights, presents etc as well as unforeseen expanses, kids bank accounts etc.

My partner never see's a bill! He just knows car is always registered, rates are paid, there is always money set aside for Christmas and birthday parties. We talk about big purchases.